United States
Joined 4523 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 15
30 July 2013 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
daegga,
Do you know what the course title would be called to study German from English for
Langenscheidt? They are a rather busy publishing company and Amazon is overwhelming in
its results, haha.

Josquin,
That is high praise. Especially when one considers all the languages you list as having
experience with! What did you like so much about it? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 10 of 15
30 July 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
The course was extremely systematical, well thought-out, and additionally quite fun. The grammar explanations were clear and helpful, the texts were entertaining and informative, and vocabulary was repeated throughout the course. I couldn't think of a better way to learn Russian.

The only problem: It ended at a very low intermediate level, so I had to supplement it with Colloquial Russian, which was okay but not as good as the Langenscheidt course.

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5896 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 11 of 15
10 September 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
In Czech, there is a series of books (+CDs) called "Nejen pro samouky" and it contains a big variety of languages.

Halfdan
Canada
Joined 3996 days ago

13 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Mandarin, French

Message 12 of 15
12 September 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
The Cortina series, though significantly smaller in its number of languages than Assimil, is built on a similar
structure: dialogues, facing translations, explanatory notes, etc.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 15
12 September 2013 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
showtime17 wrote:
In Czech, there is a series of books (+CDs) called "Nejen pro samouky" and it contains a big variety of languages.

It is a series by Leda publisher and most of the courses are of very good quality, I dare say some are even better than TY or Colloquial (and have similar learning style), for example Swedish and the advanced French. Some are good but there are better options.But there are a few black sheep, such as Polish which doesn't look good. It is a translation of an English based course and seems to totally miss the opportunity to fully use the advantage of Czech base. And Chinese is obviously bad as it promisses to teach Chinese to a reasonable level in 160 pages.

Leda does have another great series for some of the romance languages. Portugalština, Italština, Španělština are very comprehensive and claim to get you to C1. The courses look really good (Italština is on my shelf, I already had a taste).

Another great (even though smaller) Czech series is by Cpress. Učebnice Současné Španělštiny/Italštiny/Ruštiny are awesome. Both cpress and leda have some other series as well, most of which aren't that good.

And Polyglot does have perfect exercise books with thousands of translation sentences. French,English, German and Russian.

And there are a few very good Czech based courses for individual languages but these three are probably the only ones going for more languages.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 15
12 September 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Dutch has PRISMA but they do not cover a lot of languages if I recall correctly.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4333 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 15 of 15
12 September 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
daegga,
Do you know what the course title would be called to study German from English for
Langenscheidt? They are a rather busy publishing company and Amazon is overwhelming in
its results, haha.

Langenscheidt Deutsch in 30 Tagen/German in 30 Days

Sorry I missed this question, I hope you found it anyway.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version