bobby1413
United Kingdom
Joined 3979 days ago

32 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 14
01 August 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
I love Italy and I'm just beginning learning the language. I want to visit more - for
fun and to help learn, however it's so expensive, regardless of the time of year.

I've looked at Rome initially. I appreciate this is the capital, although it costs in
excess of £400 each for 3 nights, which I personally think is a lot.

Especially when you think about food, drink, city tax on top.

That's flying from anywhere in London to Rome.

Does anyone have any tips for cheaper trips?
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4034 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 14
01 August 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Have you ever tried booking a holiday apartment?

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4025 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 3 of 14
01 August 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
My partner and I are in Rome this September for 7 or 8 days, I can't recall. Either way
we're not paying that much even given the university's subsidy. It is worth looking at
holiday apartments and what not. Have you seen Air b'n'b? If you look carefully you can
get some great deals, especially if you know the layout of the city. Then there are the
usual tips; book as far ahead as you can, choose your travel season wisely etc.

eggcluck
China
Joined 4482 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 14
02 August 2013 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
I have always used youth hostels, even if you do not like the idea of a dorm you can book a private room in some of them cheaper than a hotel. For the more adventurous there is always couch surfing. You could also try a search of coupon sites.
2 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3954 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 5 of 14
02 August 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Couch surfing is probably the best bet, because not only are you getting free accommodation, but you're also getting a local host.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 14
02 August 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Last time I visited Rome I used a cheap airline and stayed in a modest hotel room (which nevertheless had ensuite bathroom), I had a couple of pizzas and visited all the museums I could manage plus the zoo - and my total expenditure for a minibreak with flight from Denmark, three nights in Rome and flight onwards to Sardinia didn't reach the equivalent of 400£ for the whole deal. How do you manage to spend that kind of money per day? Maybe your flight is responsible for most of the total costs, but then there are alternatives which can bring the price down. MAybe you take courses and include that in the sum, and then the sky is the limit, but otherwise I can't understand your calculations.

bobby1413
United Kingdom
Joined 3979 days ago

32 posts - 32 votes

Message 7 of 14
02 August 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Last time I visited Rome I used a cheap airline and stayed in a modest hotel room (which
nevertheless had ensuite bathroom), I had a couple of pizzas and visited all the museums I could manage
plus the zoo - and my total expenditure for a minibreak with flight from Denmark, three nights in Rome and
flight onwards to Sardinia didn't reach the equivalent of 400£ for the whole deal. How do you manage to
spend that kind of money per day? Maybe your flight is responsible for most of the total costs, but then there
are alternatives which can bring the price down. MAybe you take courses and include that in the sum, and
then the sky is the limit, but otherwise I can't understand your calculations.

I used lastminute.com and I think Expedia too.

They came back as £400 each for 4 nights with flights.   

bobby1413
United Kingdom
Joined 3979 days ago

32 posts - 32 votes

Message 8 of 14
02 August 2013 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
In response to others, I haven't looked at apartments but I will try that now.

Also, my GF is desperate to visit Venice which I can imagine is even more expensive! I wouldn't mind
spending more though, especially to stay on the actual island.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version