Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
DevonAero
United States
Joined 3982 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 4
02 August 2013 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
I'm just curious and trying to stay motivated. I'm working my way through unit 11 and
just thought I'd post a discussion thread. I heard it takes to superior (C1), but I don't
know. It doesn't have to be just for Spanish, but the other languages that you've used
FSI for.

Also my logs here if you wanna read it: http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36303&PN=1

Edited by DevonAero on 02 August 2013 at 6:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 4
02 August 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
I think this has been discussed before, and the general consensus seems to be that it takes to about a high B1. C1 is way to high a level to reach with a course, in fact I think the same could be said for B2.

However completion of the course can make it easier to jump into the higher levels,because you internalise all of the main structures of the language, meaning that you can hook new vocabulary on to these structures very easily. It also develops your automaticity when speaking like no other course ever will. I can usually produce pretty rapid, flowing speech when needed even though sometimes I don't speak the language for months at a time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 4
02 August 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
I think this has been discussed before, and the general consensus seems to be that it takes to about a high B1. C1 is way to high a level to reach with a course, in fact I think the same could be said for B2. ...

I agree with dbag. No course will lead you to the "promised land" on its own. As messy and uncomfortable as it is, you must engage with the language as it is in the real world in order to learn a language. This means, speaking with natives, listening to native content, reading native content and writing in the target language as often as possible, even while doing your course, especially while doing your course. Look at it this way, DevonAero, would you trust a course, any course, to take you all the way to your driver's license without ever having been behind the wheel of a car on the public streets? Better yet, would you want to be on the road with other drivers who learned that way? That's why most licensing authorities have a road exam. Learning to drive means more than doing a course it also includes practice in real-life driving situations. Platiquemos/FSI is highly recommended here and many learners have used it to gain speaking ability, but it won't take you to C-1 level on its own.

No matter how good your course is, it can only simulate real-life situations so much. You get better at what you're learning by doing. Go back and look at your first posts when you were asking for advice. You'll see that people advised you to use several resources to engage all the aspects of learning a language. If you want to actually "speak" the language then you're going to have to engage it on many fronts.

¡Buena suerte!

Edited by iguanamon on 02 August 2013 at 6:49pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7005 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 4 of 4
04 August 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
For me, Platiquemos/FSI has been a cornerstone of my success with speaking Spanish grammatically correct and often with automaticity. As you know by your progress to unit 11, each unit brings a couple of features of the language into focus and then they can be drilled until that feature comes to you without effort.

I'm with the other posters that a single course may not give you the whole enchildada, but a course like FSI Basic Spanish can provide a solid foundation that other experiences can rapidly build on.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version