Groupie
Poland
Joined 4312 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*

Message 1 of 7
04 August 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I'm compiling materials for in Russian L-R. All of the books I've gathered so far don't use the letter 'ё', nothing unusual -- Russians tend to use 'e' instead of 'ё'. However, for me, a Russian learner, it would be better to have it in the texts, at least at the very beginning. Does anyone know if there is free software out there that I could use to replace the 'e' with 'ё' in the texts (these are Russian e-books in Microsoft Word 2003)?

Edited by umiak on 06 August 2013 at 11:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5399 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 7
04 August 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
How should it know? It could use a dictionary, but to decide, whether you mean все (all people) or всё (everything), you have to understand the text, i.e. be a human editor.

PS. I know there are commercial programs which put the pitch accents. I believe they ask you every time, a form is ambiguous. But they cost money.

Edited by Cabaire on 04 August 2013 at 1:37pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 7
04 August 2013 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
you already know how e/ё work. that's enough for LR :)

Helid
Diglot
Poland
Joined 4119 days ago

24 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 5 of 7
04 August 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
If I understood correctly you have books in Microsoft Word format. In that case you can
try to use shortcut ctrl + h (find and replace) to do that.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 7
04 August 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
But e is not always ё with no diacritics, often it's just e.
This wouldn't work for a Polish text that had s instead of ś everywhere, would it? :P

umiak
Groupie
Poland
Joined 4312 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*

Message 7 of 7
06 August 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I've found software which does the job: Пишите по-русски. It 'yofikates' like hell, but here it comes the problem mentioned by Cabaire.
Cabaire wrote:
How should it know? It could use a dictionary, but to decide, whether you mean все (all people) or всё (everything), you have to understand the text, i.e. be a human editor.[...]

[Chuckle.]I was about to write that the book I want to work with has no word with two dots over 'e' but for 'всё'. I yofikated the whole 'Karamazov Brothers' and then it started asking about the context-dependent words...

The software may be of some help to those who already know some Russian, though. Here are other programs with the same purpose.

Edited by umiak on 06 August 2013 at 11:55pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version