Triglot
Canada
Joined 4229 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 25 of 28
13 October 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
I don't think it is fair to assign specific time for learning. A few years ago started learning to play piano
keyboard. In the beginning it was a struggle. You get a few songbooks with technical pieces. You push yourself to
do it for 2-3h a day, 7 days a week. Now I'm at the point I don't have to practice every day and there are pieces I
can play from memory.

Using music playing as an analogy, In the beginning you would be spending a lot more time learning the basics of
a language going through phrase books, vocabulary and grammar. Once you get to a certain fluency, you can
listen to a radio or TV program for instance and understand what is being said or read a newspaper and
understand most of the words & phrases. You are not relying on a textbook alone. The time you listen to a news
broadcast or watch a TV program counts as your learning time. You are learning French for instance and you
watch the movie: "La Cage aux Folles" or the French equivalent of the American: "The Bird Cage". It is something
outside a textbook or class but still considered part of learning.

Suppose you are learning Japanese and you happen to be on exchange in Tokyo during the summer. You'd be
counting every minute you interact with a local including the time spend in the classroom, going shopping,
sightseeing, etc. A lot of it is outside the classroom.

Of course you need to push yourself a bit by going to Internet chatrooms for instance and start discussions with
language natives and see how far a conversation can go...

Edited by shk00design on 13 October 2013 at 9:35am

3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4473 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 26 of 28
13 October 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
casamata wrote:
Edit: but I was only fluid in speaking informal, low-level, colloquial Spanish that was so ingrained in my head that I don't think I would ever forget it even if I had spent 50 years not speaking. But I had embarrassingly forgot many basic words such as "butter", "ice skates", and "swimming trunks" due to so much language atrophy. My advanced vocabulary was locked away in a deep recess of my brain.

But I also notice that if I only speak Spanish (actively) one or two hours in a week, I'm not as comfortable, stumble, and am not anywhere as fluid as even the previous week where I had daily one hour skype chats with natives. It goes away quickly but comes back quickly, is what I'm saying.

So how, if at all, do you think that passive reading and listening practice help with maintaining active skills? Are there other things that help with maintenance of speaking skills besides live spoken conversation? This is of course the dilemma for those learning languages that we don't always have easy opportunities to practice speaking live--even if you can gain substantial speaking skills, are you just going to lose them again unless you can find a regular speaking partner you keep forever?

I too find that certain parts of German never really go away for me, but most German (that I didn't learn as a child) is more elusive and comes and goes. (At the best of times I have a conversation in German once a week, and usually less, and other languages even less so, more like once a month if I work to seek it out.)
1 person has voted this message useful

aspiringplyglot
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
aspiringpolyglot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4362 days ago

40 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto, Polish, Scottish Gaelic, French

Message 27 of 28
14 October 2013 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
I believe that when you have a higher level in a language (C1-C2) you need less time to maintain these languages.
Perhaps you need 5 or 10 minutes to become accustomed to the language after a long period of inactivity, but the
key skills are there, I mean, that's what you have spent all that time for.

For example, I've spent the past two years learning German and Spanish and I don't think I will ever forget how to
express myself in those languages. Yes, perhaps a couple of words here and there but with a little bit of time back
with the language I wouldn't lose too much.

However, with GĂ idhlig I've only spent a matter of hours with it and I would quickly forget it if I didn't continue to
review the basic words and phrases.

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3875 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 28 of 28
14 October 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
casamata wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It's one thing if a marathon runner or a
professional violin player has to exercise daily. Their skills are a lot more
performance based than speaking a language. An athlete may lose strength/speed/stamina,
a musician less so. However, there is always room for improvement and I suppose that a
top musician practices more in order to improve than to maintain the skills. I can
ignore my guitar for months without losing anything. The better you are, the shorter do
you have to warm up (and the shorter it takes to get up to speed again).

This is not to say that top level lad/lass in whatever topic doesn't have to maintain
the skills.

You can seriously not play the guitar for months and be as good as before? I honestly
find that very hard to believe.

I probably struggle much more with the guitar than anything else...you can't by any
means stop playing for months without affecting your technique :D

Edited by Donaldshimoda on 14 October 2013 at 3:31pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version