Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 1 of 4
07 August 2013 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
If you are able to view BBC TV iPlayer where you are, there was a very interesting
programme on this evening:

King Alfred and the Anglo Saxons

Quote:

Alfred of Wessex
Image for Alfred of Wessex
Watch now3 WEEKS LEFT
Episode 1 of 3
DURATION: 1 HOUR
King Alfred the Great fights a desperate guerrilla war in the marshes of Somerset -
burning the cakes on the way- before his decisive victory at Edington. Creating towns,
trade and coinage, reviving learning and literacy, Alfred then laid the foundations of
a single kingdom of 'all the English'. Filmed on location from Reading to Rome, using
original texts read in Old English, and interviews with leading scholars, Michael Wood
describes a man who was 'not just the greatest Briton, but one of the greatest rulers
of any time or place'

Alfred was a remarkable man. As well as his exploits as a warrior and governor, he
loved learning and wisdom, and personally translated many learned Latin works into Old
English.

Presented by the pleasantly unassuming Michael Wood.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 2 of 4
07 August 2013 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
An enlightening documentary - thanks for posting this up, montmorency!

I don't know who reads out the various extracts in Old English interspersed throughout, but it sounds quite wonderful.

I'm also impressed with Michael Wood's ever-changing parade of wooly knitted scarves throughout...at one point (around the 17 and a half minute mark) he even reminds me a little of the 4th Doctor. ;)

By the way, if the link above doesn't work, you can also watch the whole episode for the time being from here: King Alfred and the Anglo-Saxons.

Edited by Teango on 07 August 2013 at 5:06am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
07 August 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Hurray for Youtube.

Anglosaxon is not totally opaque when there are subtitles, and the readings sound very natural and convincing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 4 of 4
07 August 2013 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Very interesting, thank you!

I especially enjoyed those snippets of Old English. They made me wanna pick up my Old English books again...

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version