Israel
Joined 3929 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Russian, Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 1 of 2
08 August 2013 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Hi
I've started learning German with "German Demystified", now I got the basics of the
language and I want to continue with another book. I have several options and it would
help me a lot if you'll tell me which book is the best:
"Lagune (1 & 2 & 3)"
"Moment Mal"
"Schritte International (1-6)"
"Themen Aktuell (1 & 2)"
I'm learning by myself without a teacher.
Thanks a lot for any recommendation.

Edited by Fasulye on 13 August 2013 at 4:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 2
08 August 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Monete. Welcome to the forums!

I am using Themen Aktuell (I need to force myself to finish the first volume finally) and it is an awesome series. The TA 3 should lead to B1 level, which basically means most of the usual language and I believe it. It does explain grammar, has good audio, tons of useful vocabulary right from the beginning and lots of exercises. I think it is the best class meant course for self teaching students. If I were you, I would get it.

I spent a bit of time looking at the other choices in a library. I think Lagune and Schritte are not worth it as they seem to be the modern, supposedly fun, booklets of multi culti photos without much content. No idea about Moment Mal.

A wonderful resource are the things for learners at Deutsche Welle website. There are courses (with lots of audio), easy news and so on. All for free.

Or instead of a textbook, you can get a grammar book and dictionary and dive into native materials right away.Of course, it depends on how far did the German demystified get you.
4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version