Canada
Joined 3932 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 8
14 August 2013 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
Hello, everyone!

I was hoping I could get some advice into using Assimil. I've searched the forums and googled around a bit, and I
couldn't find anything that answered my question, so apologies if this has already been asked and I've missed it.

To provide a (very quick) background: I'm learning French. Assimil is one of several methods I've been using, and
I've started it reasonably recently (I'm about halfway through the passive wave). I've previously completed the FIA
videos (but am only starting the workbooks), and spend a fair amount of time with the RFI podcasts and native-
speed podcasts (of which I can follow the gist reliably, but sometimes miss the details). I took French in high-school
years ago, and actually have quite good passive skills (I read very well), but my speaking skills are so poor as to be
non-existent.

One of the things I have the most trouble with is syntax. Particularly forgetting that accusative pronouns tend to fall
before the verb, and forgetting things like "en" and "y" all the time. The way I've been using Assimil is to listen to the
dialogues without the text to figure out how much I can understand, then L-R with the French text once, and then
L-R with the English text.

However, I was wondering whether anyone had any experience/insight into whether it would be more useful to
create hyper-literal English translations to follow along with (with the English words in the same order as the French)
in order to reinforce the syntax of the sentence? Since I don't really have trouble with comprehension. Has anyone
done this and found it useful? Or am I just making my own life needlessly difficult?

Thanks very much in advance!

1 person has voted this message useful

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5102 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 2 of 8
14 August 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
My students always have difficulties with syntax and pronouns in general. The best thing you can is immerse yourself in the language and with enough exposure, it will start to make sense.

Good luck and don't worry too much about that !
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 8
14 August 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I think Assimil is great, but Pimsleur is better for getting your head around word order. I have just started using FSI, and I imagine all those drills will do even it even better.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 8
14 August 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
I don't think just using Assimil will teach
you every nuance of French syntax. That
requires practice in writing. It took me years
of building up knowledge and consistently
writing in French to get anywhere remotely
near reasonable.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 8
14 August 2013 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I think for this particular kind of troubles, a grammar book could be the solution. An explanation with examples could bring order into this mess you are experiencing (and which is very common) and than it is just a matter of practice. Both input and output.

Assimil is awesome but you won't learn everything from it.

berabero89
Diglot
United States
Joined 4442 days ago

101 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Amharic*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 6 of 8
15 August 2013 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
http://french.about.com/

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3929 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 7 of 8
15 August 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I think for this particular kind of troubles, a grammar book could be the solution. An
explanation with examples could bring order into this mess you are experiencing (and which is very
common) and than it is just a matter of practice. Both input and output.

Seconded. I'm currently studying Spanish using Assimil as my mainstay. However, I find 'Langenscheids
Kurzgrammatik' (short grammar) MOST helpful regarding the core structures of Spanish and this is what
I'm personally most concerned about. This little booklet gave me more 'clicks' than any other introductory
material I've studied so far, including MT and the excellent 'Madrigals Key to Spanish'.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 8
16 August 2013 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I think for this particular kind of troubles, a grammar book could be the solution. An explanation with examples could bring order into this mess you are experiencing (and which is very common) and than it is just a matter of practice. Both input and output.

Actually, the specific problem mentioned by the OP (pronoun order) is explained very thoroughly in Assimil, giving it more space than my grammar books do (although both of my French grammars are quite small). Pages 357-358 explain most of it, and then the positions of y and en are explained on pp. 389-390.

However, this is one of those things which I think has to be learnt by practice, with one eye on the rulebook. Pimsleur has been very good at helping me get all of them in the right place. And for further practice, FSI undoubtedly has some good drills.

Edited by Jeffers on 16 August 2013 at 6:16pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version