Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4759 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 13
14 August 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Since this is such a debated topic, I thought I would share actual concrete examples of
what some testing services see as "writing level _____". We always ask ourselves here
"what is speaking B2, or C1". So I decided to put examples here for easy comparison in
one page, plus the links for much more detailed analysis of the writing and other
examples.

I should point out that it is useful to read the "grader's" comments: grammar,
vocabulary, connectors, etc, or not the only thing graded but of course whether the
texts successfully tackled and answered all questions or requests the instructions
posed.

(NOTE: spelling mistakes in the texts are PART of the text not my typos)

- - - - - - -

A1
TASK: Produce four (4) sentences on a specialized topic (20-40 words)

"Poor/Unsatisfactory" A1 Level

"My best friend is John, he is tnee and thin and he is a policeman. He likes his one
has gun. We dugs go out together in the eving".

"Solid" A1

My best friend’s name is Nick. He leoves next to my house. We have the same hobbies:
gardening, going to the sea-side, playing tennis. He is good at playing guitar.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245343/Writing-samples-A1-Level

- - - - -

A2
TASK: Writing for specific audience in neutral/formal writing (20-40 words)

"Poor/Unsatisfactory A2"

Dear My Auntie

Thank you for this card. I am very happy for this birthday. No, I didn’t need for any
thing I am allready for my birthday thank you my Auntie. Welcome my Auntie I will happy
to see you.

Best wishes

Joseph

"Acceptable" A2

Dear My Auntie Joan,

Thank you for your geft. It was very fantastic. My birthday was very nice. There were
many friends in it. I did some special dance music and cakes.

I hope to see soon

Much love

Younis

http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245345/Writing-samples-A2-Level

6 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4759 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 2 of 13
14 August 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
B1
TASK: Writing a letter using informal language (100-120 words)

Poor/Unsatisfactory B1

Dear …..

I had an interesting time last weekend.

Last weeked I went for weeked at home our at our village I found my parent prepare time
something good I was surprise.my parent prepare me a nice room made of bricks so that
can sleep well it was like a dream.They never tell me before.

Their buy me a nice bed and clothes I was very interesting and happy to see that.I want
to tell you that at the end of this year you must can and vist me so that we can enjoy
a new room with you.

Tell your parent that.I am very happy to see your reply.

Your friend.

Ewa

"Solid" B1

Dear ….

I had an interesting time last weekend.I was very surprised when I received a phone
call from Mr. Kathilca the head coach of Epupa Eleven Stars football club to attend
trials in Opumo.

They picked me up with some other guys and we arrived in Ruaears around 7:00 pm on
friday. We had a mini meeting and we were introduced to the management of the team
before a very wonderful dinner, it was a very great moment.

On Saturday we went to play our first game agains Onambula United and we were beaten by
three goals to two. I had a very good game because I even scored our second goal with a
hender. Later that afternoon we went for a training session and returned to the camp
around 6:00 pm.

We then had dinner and the coach thanked us all for the dedication we showed during the
day. We were up early on Sunday morning for training session before we drove to Untapi
to play against young braves, this was one of the best matches. I ever played. I did
not know what was happening to me, everything just seemed to go my way I was really on
fire my friend, making a brace and provide another two goals. I really enjoyed myself
in that game.

The most wonderful part was when I was told that I will be signed on a 3 year contract.
I will tell you the details when you get here on friday because you are invited to my
cerebration and I am not taking no for an answer so please get prepared.

I will see you soon!

Your friend

Zoltan

http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245346/Writing-samples-B1-Level

- - - - -

B2
TASK: Writing neutral or formal response to input for public consumption (100-150
words)

"Poor/Unsatisfactory B2"

Dear Sir

Internet at home

I am writing this letter with regard to you graph which you appeared in a magazine.
Moreover, I agree with you about that men and women do not waste time using the
Internet at home. In fact, they spend their time in shopping or sitting in fornt of
television. Although they can get the Internet at home easly, they do not care about
it.

In addition, there are advantages and disadvantages to using the Internet.

First of all, the disadvantages to use this service are as follows:

This service need more time to spend with it. Moreover, sometime it could be efacted in
your eyes. Also, if you let this service for your children, they can get enfaction in
their behavior.

On the other hand, there are advantages to use this service such as you can get many
information quickly and also you can improve you self with this service.

I hope that I kick the nile to give you my opinion about this service.

Thank you very much for your kind attantion.

Yours Faithfkully.

Ahmed al Shukali

"Solid" B2

Dear Sirs,

I would like to respond to the article called ’Results of survey demonstrating that
neither men nor women waste their time using the internet at home’ which appeared in
Tuesday’s edition of your newspaper.

At the age of the World Wide Web, the survey you had conducted could be eye opening to
read, however, I believe that the activities you’ve listed do not give a full picture
of Internet usage in general, therefore the title itself is rather misleading.

Unfortunately the focus was put on the advantages the Internet offers, such as having
access to online newspapers and shopping. But let’s not forget about the traps either.
Many people spend hours playing online games, visiting social websites to look up
photos of friends old forgotten or chatting endlessly. Unfortunately such disadvantages
were totally neglected by your analysis.

Furthermore, the findings suggest that men use the Net more extensively regardless of
the nature of its purpose, which idea can be very much argued as well.

Best Regards

Abigail Waugh

http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245348/Writing-samples-B2-Level

7 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4759 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 3 of 13
14 August 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
C1
TASK: Writing neutral or formal response to input for public consumption (150-200
words)

"Poor/Unsatisfactory C1"

Dear Mr. Rossi,

I’m writing to you regarding recycling because nowadays it is one of the most important
topics of our life. Recycling is a way of turning old stuff into new stuff, of
changing used house hild materials be throw away into the products we buy and use lots
of things we consider trash can be reproducsed into new products and used again:
plastic bottles, newspapers, soft drink cans, jam jars and many more. Recycling is
collecting, reproducing, marketing and using these materials.Making new plastic
containers from old plastic bottles is a good example of recycling.

Plastic containers can also be turned into stuffing for pillows, or made into car dash
boards.

It is important to recycle because recycling makes sense!

To slow down the rate at which we use landfills, to conserve natural resources, and to
reduce manufacturing pollutants and save energy.

When we throw things into the trash, we add to the amount of materials going into
landfills.

Recycling is important as a way to save energy. For examples, recycling aluminium takes
only 5%of the energy needed to make aluminium from new material.

Recycling an aluminium can saves enough electricity to operate a tv for three hours!
Lost of things can be recycled, paper, cans, plastic can all be recycled.

Remember to store your recyclabes in the cabage or in some other safe dry area.

Keep collecting them and when you set them outside your house or on the pavement or you
drop them off at a recycling center.

I look forward to receiving a reply.

Thank you for your time.

Yours faithfully,

Michel Zilli

"Solid" C1

Dear Madam/Sir,

I was pleased to see your report on municipal waste collection released recently, as I
have long been interested in the data you published. It was also great to see that the
percentage of land-filled waste is lower compared to other regions and I was
particularly glad to see that the utilisation of waste to recover heat and power has
at least been started even if its proportion is still negligible in the overall
treatment of waste.

It is my firm conviction that the proportion of recycled waste needs to grow during the
coming year(s) with shrinking the amount of land-filled waste quantities – to avoid
the detrimental effect this latter has on the health conditions of the local
population. Due to this I would like to propose that you involve locally based
companies in decision making, since they are likely to have a stake in maintaining a
clean local environment while eager to utilise recycled raw materials for their
manufacturing processes.

It is imperative that you take my proposal into serious consideration, because the
growing number of illnesses caused by toxic waste in the soil increases the
municipality’s social security expenditures, while ruining the lives of local families.

Yours sincerely,

Frank Paole

http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245351/Writing-samples-C1-Level

- - - - -

C2
TASK: Writing neutral or formal response to input for public consumption (150-200
words)

"Poor/Unsatisfactory C2

Examination result is very important to an individual and the school either because
it identified ones qualification or a prove to the others. Everybody wants to score
flying colours in their examination especially in certain important subjects towards an
individual. According to the school results in year 2006 to your 2008, three subjects
have fluctuated uncontrolleable. These subjects are Physics, Chemistry and
Mathematics. Percentage of Physics and Chemistry are decreasing dramatically while
Mathematics has rose up in year 2007 dropped again in the following year.

I personally think school management should decline the standard sin examination
results in these three subjects. We should encourage the students to score and study
harder for the up coming examinations. Most of the students felt hopeless and started
to gave up when they saw unsatisfied results in every semesters.

Overall, the possible reasons of decreasing marks may be high turnover of teachers. A
sudden changes of teaching methods will make the students hard to understand and cope
up with the lessons. Secondly,students cannot fully understand or confused about
experiment and solving problems if the school were lack of resources and facilities
such as (several) laboratory, materials and apparatus. Thirdly, I personally feel
science is a hard subject, yet science was perceived as difficult and unexciting. Most
of the students felt bored and some even fell aslept in the classroom.

However, I have come up with some possible solutions such as rethink approach to
teacher recruitment. Make a teachers meeting and discuss a method of teaching which is
useful to students. Then, frequently do science practical as if helps students to
involves under circumstances and easily understand and it kills the boredom. Moreover,
it is essential to develop an IT lab and other attractive resources because it can be
very useful in doing research for both parties. The school look empty too without
resources and important facilities.

All in all, information above is given for the future usage and I hope it will helps
and regarding to the results, declining standards can be acceptable and reasonable.

"Solid" C2

As ordered in the previous management team meeting, attached is the report of the
declining standards in exam results in the school.

After thorough investigation, we have came up with the possible reasons for the decline
in performance in the school. The subjects affected are Physics, Chemistry and
Mathematics. In Physics the average score in 2006 was 82% which went down to 77% in
2007 and finally 71% in 2008. Chemistry has seen a drop from 76% , 61% and finally 52%.
Mathematics has been worst hit. The initial score was 40% which went up slightly to 42%
and dropped to 33% in 2008.

At the end of the survey, we came up with three possible reasons and their solutions to
this problem. The first one is the high turnover of teachers. The management should
try hard to retain the teachers as a high turnover affects students’ performance. This
can be done by use of incentives or by rethinking the approach to teacher recruitment.

The second reason is the lack of resources and facilities. The school needs and up to
date lab for the students to enjoy learning sciences. Investing in a state-of-art IT
lab and other lab resources we not only make the subject easier for the students but
also make learning a science subject fun and attractive.

Student’s attitude towards sciences is another reason for poor performance. This mostly
affects girls who think that sciences are for men. The school should raise awareness of
the benefits of these subjects and encourage girls to take up science subjects. With
regular teachers and state-of-art laboratories, I am sure that we will not only have
good results but also more girls enrolling in sciences related courses.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/56245354/Writing-samples-C2-Level
6 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 13
14 August 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
almost solid C2: The school needs and up to date lab for the students to enjoy learning sciences

Quite interesting to see the whole gamut of texts from the downright embarrassing to the polished, but somewhat verbose productions of a C2 master.

Edited by Iversen on 14 August 2013 at 4:47pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4179 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 5 of 13
14 August 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
That's an extremely interesting overview of the different levels. I actually thought the "solid" B1 example was much better written than the "unsatisfactory" B2 example.
2 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3983 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 6 of 13
14 August 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
That's an extremely interesting overview of the different levels. I actually thought the "solid" B1 example was much better written than the "unsatisfactory" B2 example.

It is, although it's worth pointing out that writing about your past is typically a lower level skill than making an argument about an issue. The latter involves far more abstract uses of language, as well as being more likely to be outside of the writer's comfort zone. If you're really into football, it's not surprising that you might have a wide vocabulary in that subject. Hence the great use of collocations and set phrases. There was also a good use of the passive form. But there were still one or two errors though, such as using "very" with ungradable adjectives.

But the poor B2 definitely attempts more difficult language and does so with a subject matter that is more detached from the writer. For the same reason, I would typically find that a student who is asked to write a ghost story will do a worse job than if they're asked to write about the last holiday they went on, because the vocabulary and context is less familiar to them, even though a lot of the grammar usage would be the same.

Edited by I'm With Stupid on 14 August 2013 at 7:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

wanderingbird
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3945 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Japanese, Portuguese, German

Message 7 of 13
14 August 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
This is really interesting and helpful for evaluating my levels in different languages.
Does anything like this exist for spoken aspects of a language, such as a Youtube video
of people demonstrating A1-C2 levels in a language?
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 8 of 13
14 August 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
"After thorough investigation, we have came up with the possible reasons for the decline in performance in the school." [taken from the Solid C2 sample above]

Surely this should either be "we came up" or "we have come up"? I'm pretty sure "came" isn't generally preceded by the auxiliary "have", or at least that's not what I was taught...although if you search for this string on the Internet, there seem to be a lot of incidences of it being used this very way now.

And perhaps I'm just nitpicking here, but if reasons are "possible" and not clearly definitive or indicated in a preceding line, doesn't it make more sense to remove "the" from this sentence as well? Oh well...

Grammatical technicalities aside, I was already quite impressed by the time I reached the "Solid B1" sample. Following the progression through all 6 levels was very illuminating in terms of what is expected in CEFR exams. I fear that most of my languages are well below the acceptable written B2 standard, so I better keep practicing. ;)

Edited by Teango on 14 August 2013 at 10:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version