Diglot
Canada
Joined 4280 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 9 of 13
14 August 2013 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
@Iversen and Teango : This just shows that you do not need to produce perfect writings to qualify as a C2 level.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 13
15 August 2013 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
wanderingbird wrote:
This is really interesting and helpful for evaluating my levels in different languages.
Does anything like this exist for spoken aspects of a language, such as a Youtube video of people demonstrating A1-C2 levels in a language?

See these threads:
Examples of proficency levels (CEFR)
Examples of A2 to C2 English

And this one:
http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/research-and-validation/fitn ess-for-purpose/

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 11 of 13
15 August 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
almost solid C2: The school needs and up to
date lab for the students to enjoy learning sciences

Quite interesting to see the whole gamut of texts from the downright embarrassing to
the
polished, but somewhat verbose productions of a C2 master.

Also: "we have came up" should be "we have come up" (or just: "we came up...")

EDIT: I see Teango got there first. However, I think it's definitely wrong, whereas he
seems prepared to be a little more liberal. Maybe it's an age thing. :-)

I hadn't picked up the definite article possible error (or at least, questionable style
issue).

Edited by montmorency on 15 August 2013 at 12:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5398 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 12 of 13
17 August 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
almost solid C2: The school needs and up to date lab for the students to enjoy learning sciences
Quite interesting to see the whole gamut of texts from the downright embarrassing to the polished, but somewhat verbose productions of a C2 master.

My 2 cents:
That "... needs and up to date lab" was just a typo, made by whoever typed up this essay.
The 2 mistakes in "we have came up with the possible reasons" are both minor.
Minor because "the" possible reasons could refer to "all" the reasons, not just to "some" (3 of them, as we're told later), and the verb form "have came" could also be just a typo, or a confusion of 'thinking one thing (have come) and then changing your mind (to simple past and forgetting to get rid of the "have")'.
Another mistake nobody seems to have noticed:
Student’s attitude towards sciences. Again, minor, because earlier on s/he had written it correctly in: students' performance.
What I found slightly off: 'state-of-art IT/labs'. I've only ever heard/seen 'state-of-the-art'.

Nitpicking maybe, but
1. The sentence
     "Chemistry has seen a drop from 76% , 61% and finally 52%."
looked like an enumeration and therefore felt wrong. It was only when I read it out loud that I realised it sounds perfectly all right, just depends on the way you read it. But in writing it would have looked less weird if, instead of the comma, there had been a colon (:), or better still a 'to':
     "Chemistry has seen a drop from 76% to 61% and finally 52%".

2, The following sentence doesn't make sense: "At the end of the survey, we came up with three possible reasons and their solutions to this problem."
I'm sorry if I sound pedantic, but you cannot solve reasons, and as 'the decline in performance' is miles away, "this" problem is rather confusing. Either stop the sentence after '... three possible reasons", or change the second part to something like: "... three possible reasons for our problem (i.e. for this decline in performance) and possible solutions / ways to remedy the situation."

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 13 of 13
18 August 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
These kinds of errors regularly appear in editing of writing done by native speakers, even those who write well and
"should know better." The fact that they are in the sample here demonstrates that these kinds of errors, at this
frequency, when produced under test conditions, should not be seen as an indication that the overall level of the
language learner is not still "solid" at the C2 level.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version