Triglot
Finland
Joined 4064 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 15
16 August 2013 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
If it's not too late you should totally listen to some Tenhi, I guarantee it's of higher artistic quality than probably anything you picked up elsewhere >_>
1 person has voted this message useful

Tahl
Diglot
United States
Joined 4099 days ago

26 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh
Studies: Spanish, Finnish

Message 10 of 15
16 August 2013 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
I've been enjoying Pimsleur Finnish. There's a lot of material in it, and I'm so far
finding it not boring at all (unlike Pimsleur Spanish). I'm learning what Finnish I can
in the month I've got before a trip there. So far reviewing one (30 minute) lesson and
doing one new lesson each day is working well for me. I follow up by talking to myself
around the house.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 15
16 August 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I usually log so many hours on things that are not textbook that it doesn't matter.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4255 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 12 of 15
16 August 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Learning a language is like learning to play a piano. In the beginning you'd spend more time until you
build a strong foundation, then you can go at a leisurely pace. Even if you intend to do X hours a day, it
is a stop and go approach or as much as your brain can handle. You are building basic vocabulary like
days of the week, time, etc. and basic grammar.

Learning isn't restricted to textbooks. There are many online videos, many with subtitles. In the
beginning TV programs for children and then radio programs, news broadcasts and other TV programs
and movies.

Even being proficient in Chinese, I have an online dictionary available to look up words and phrases
even on a mobile phone. There are always unfamiliar expressions that came up like "social networking"
or "blog" in Chinese. The other day I watched a documentary in Chinese with English subtitles. The text
doesn't match up with the dialog 100%. You are basically going by the context of what was said.
Somewhere in the documentary a speaker used an unfamiliar Chinese expression. Looked up individual
Chinese characters what I thought was being said. And then did a Google search and eventually the
expression came up in an online encyclopedia.

Being practical you can't always be with people speaking a language but you have access to radio & TV
programs online. In the beginning you are not going to pick up everything. Just have to train your ears
to the sounds of a language.

Edited by shk00design on 16 August 2013 at 5:55pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3984 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 13 of 15
16 August 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Personally, I don't usually have time to do more than a single lesson on Pimsleur a day. But when I do, I'd rather switch my attention to another program/website/graded reader/podcast of the same level, than attempt to blitz through Pimsleur. That way, you have more chance of hearing the things you've learned in Pimsleur in different contexts that might aid retention. Obviously certain languages have a greater variety of (free) resources than others.

Edited by I'm With Stupid on 16 August 2013 at 7:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 14 of 15
21 August 2013 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
That way, you have more chance of hearing the things you've learned in Pimsleur in
different contexts that might aid retention.

That's a good point.

And thanks for the recommendation Henkkles!

JC_Identity
Triglot
Groupie
Sweden
thelawofidentity.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3932 days ago

53 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Serbo-Croatian*, English

Message 15 of 15
21 August 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
I actually start out by using native material, as long as the language has a roman alphabet that I can relate to.
What I do is to start by reading books in the target language. Of course I get the same book in a language I
understand. I tend also to use an audio book and the text book in the foreign language. For example with
French I started by reading Roald Dal's Witches. I had the French audio book and text as well as the English
text. So what I did was to read a paragraph in English and then listen to the same paragraph in French. This
is much more fun than using a flash cards or language courses. It works great also, even when you are
complete beginner, if you just take it easy and make sure that you get comprehensive input, i.e. have the
English text. I have also made things much more convenient for myself now, as I have created an iPad app
that I use for this. The app lets me input the texts and the audio and gives me some useful features for
translating single words, slowing down the audio, and repeating the audio quickly by setting markers in the
audio. If you are interested in how it all looks for me when I learn languages on a daily basis check out the
screenshots on my apps page, to get an idea: http://www.thelawofidentity.com/capish

Hope you find a way that you enjoy and that works for you!

Edited by JC_Identity on 21 August 2013 at 1:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version