United States
Joined 6629 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 16
18 August 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I was wondering if there exists, either somewhere on this forum or online elsewhere or in a published book, a detailed daily description of someone's journey from ZERO to FLUENCY.

I'm talking about *something* along the lines of
The Lernen to Talk Show
or
Benny the Irish Polyglot
except with way more detail.

Does there exist someone starting with a language, of which they knew absolutely nothing, and progressing to "fluency" (C1 +/-) while having detailed basically everything
they did to progress?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3948 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 16
18 August 2013 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Look in the language logs on HTLAL - there are tons of people logging their progress. I'm sure that some of them
started from zero. I started logging from a few months in, because I didn't think to start keeping track on day one,
and I'm not at C1 yet (probably somewhere around B1). But I outline my approach on my blog. I guess I also didn't
exactly start from zero, because I'm learning Spanish and I already know French. It's not like learning, say, Japanese
or Arabic.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6002 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 3 of 16
18 August 2013 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Koreaninkuwait.com comes close to what you're looking for. I believe he started his log here at HTLAL and then moved it over to his own site. The first entry doesn't start from absolute zero, but it starts at a basic level in the middle of 2008 and he has an entry almost every day until July 2012, except for a few months when he was traveling. It's a very good record of his path to fluency in Korean.

He's now logging his progress in French. That log starts pretty much from his first day of study, but it's not finished; he's in Month 8 right now.

In addition to his daily log, he usually also writes a monthly status update, which gives a good overview of each month's progress and highlights.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5336 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 16
18 August 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
I've tried to keep a pretty detailed log from A2 to B2+. This doesn't cover the whole range you're interested in, but it's a pretty big piece.

Starting point: When I started that log, I had finished Assimil, read less than 1,000 pages, done about 1,000 L1<->L2 vocab cards, and listened to several hundred hours of my wife speaking French to our toddler-age children.

Right now: I'm sort of a half-baked fluent—some days I can explain pretty complicated ideas, other days I trip over my tongue. I earned a B2 certificate over a year ago, and I've improved since then, but I'm still a good ways below a full C1, speaking-wise.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5185 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 16
18 August 2013 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
When I did the Finnish challenge last year (30 days, 35 hours), I considered filming every single study
session, but I figured there'd be no point or interest. Then again, we only made it to A2.

Making it to C1 is a pretty long journey and even if someone was determined enough to documented
everything, I'm not sure you'd really want to read all of that.

What would be interesting would be to document EVERY study session of an accomplished learner (and we
know many online who regularly take on new languages for a few months) so as to see progress on a daily
basis, but this would be a big project and would require a lot of resources.
1 person has voted this message useful

AML
United States
Joined 6629 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 7 of 16
18 August 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
When I did the Finnish challenge last year (30 days, 35 hours), I considered filming every single study session, but I figured there'd be no point or interest. Then again, we
only made it to A2.

Making it to C1 is a pretty long journey and even if someone was determined enough to documented everything, I'm not sure you'd really want to read all of that.

What would be interesting would be to document EVERY study session of an accomplished learner (and we know many online who regularly take on new languages for a few months) so as to see progress
on a daily basis, but this would be a big project and would require a lot of resources.

Yes, I agree with you, filming every session is a bit much, both in terms of work on my part and in terms of being boring for the viewer. What I had in mind was at least a weekly speaking video,
in order to demonstrate progress. In addition, I'd report daily details of what I did, including sharing any Anki cards I made, books I read and HOW I read them, etc, etc.

I'm a scientist, so what I'm talking about is reporting details in the same sense as reporting experimental details in a scientific journal article so that another scientist could repeat my
experiments and results. In this case, it would be learning a language to some level of fluency. Personally, I think it would be fascinating if Benny or Luca or whoever did this with one of their
new languages, especially one unrelated to a language they already know.

Does anyone agree that this would be interesting and of value if done properly?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4813 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 8 of 16
18 August 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I think it would be very interesting.

Another detailed "how to" is on the blog all japanese all the time. Author-Khatzumoto learnt Japanese to native like level in two years or so. His method is based on massive immersion, learning grammar from sentences and a few other things.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version