Message 1 of 5
18 August 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of any online certificate programs in French? One that looked
promising
was this one from the University of British Columbia:

UBC
Award
of Achievement in French

I'm having some difficulty in finding programmes that are entirely online. I have come
across individual courses that do not count towards anything, but it would be nice if a
course actually went towards a certificate.

If anyone knows of any certificate programmes that are 100% online, please let me know.
If you've actually gone through the programme, I'd love to hear about your experience.
Thank you.

Edited by Belle700 on 18 August 2013 at 8:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5341 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 2 of 5
19 August 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
I know of a hand full of certificate programs for foreign languages that are online but
most, if not all, are translation related. I suppose the question is what do you want
to use the certificate for? If you all you want to do is put it on your wall so you can
look at it and think back on your success then I'm sure this program would serve you
well. If you want to get a job or study using this certificate as proof that you know
French I would advise against this.

I would also suggest that you check the curriculum as not all of the courses are
online. You can do the program completely online but it looks like the only classes
that involve any speaking and/or listening are in person.

If you want a certificate that will allow you to go to school in say, France or show
that you have enough knowledge to work in a french speaking country this isn't going to
do it. You'll probably need a DELF certificate (and those tests have listening and
speaking components).

Belle700
United States
Joined 5496 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 3 of 5
19 August 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:
I know of a hand full of certificate programs for foreign languages
that are online but
most, if not all, are translation related. I suppose the question is what do you want
to use the certificate for? If you all you want to do is put it on your wall so you can
look at it and think back on your success then I'm sure this program would serve you
well. If you want to get a job or study using this certificate as proof that you know
French I would advise against this.

I would also suggest that you check the curriculum as not all of the courses are
online. You can do the program completely online but it looks like the only classes
that involve any speaking and/or listening are in person.

If you want a certificate that will allow you to go to school in say, France or show
that you have enough knowledge to work in a french speaking country this isn't going to
do it. You'll probably need a DELF certificate (and those tests have listening and
speaking components).

You're right - I did check into this program thoroughly and while you can complete the
entire thing online, not all of the course choices are available for distance learners.
I think your view has made me aware of how useful this could be. Even though you can do
the entire certificate online, without the speaking classes, how useful would this be?
That is a great point.

I love learning languages and I think learning them just for the sake of personal
enrichment is totally fine. However, in my case, it would be useful for my career as I
work in an environment where we have a lot of non-native English speakers coming in and
I am also seriously looking into working as a translator and/or interpreter. I would
like to be able to show on my résumé that I have the credentials to be able to say that
I speak French and can work as a translator. I can always put down that I have
knowledge of the language but I think it is good to back it up with something that
shows that you studied it and have proper knowledge of it.

What is a DELF certificate? I'd like to look into that.

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5341 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 4 of 5
20 August 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
The DELF is the diplôme d'études en langue français (diploma in french language). It's
a certificate that is given out by the International Center for French Studies, they
have four tests raging from A1-B2 The C1 and C2 tests are titled diplôme approfondi de
langue française (DALF). They comparable to the certificates that are given by the
Goethe Institute, Instituto Cervantes, etc.

I should note that if you want to do things like apply for citizenship in France or
Quebec or go to school in France (or presumably do a uni program in Quebec that is in
French) the DELF isn't sufficient (though the TCF pour le Québec, which is administered
by the same organization, is sufficient for the language portion of the immigration
requirments for Quebec apparently). Essentially these tests are used as an official
measurement of your french ability. There is lots of info
here

Belle700
United States
Joined 5496 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 5 of 5
20 August 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:
The DELF is the diplôme d'études en langue français (diploma in french
language). It's
a certificate that is given out by the International Center for French Studies, they
have four tests raging from A1-B2 The C1 and C2 tests are titled diplôme approfondi de
langue française (DALF). They comparable to the certificates that are given by the
Goethe Institute, Instituto Cervantes, etc.

I should note that if you want to do things like apply for citizenship in France or
Quebec or go to school in France (or presumably do a uni program in Quebec that is in
French) the DELF isn't sufficient (though the TCF pour le Québec, which is administered
by the same organization, is sufficient for the language portion of the immigration
requirments for Quebec apparently). Essentially these tests are used as an official
measurement of your french ability. There is lots of info
here

I'm not looking to move out of the United States or go to school in another country,
but it is good to know.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version