Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 25 of 26
20 August 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Hekkles, but as I wrote, I already know the remedy for vast majority of this.

2.But I didn't know about the proto Germanic roots, thanks!

1.Well, definite and indefinite, that is usually not the trouble. But have you seen the faces when people get introduced to partitive? Priceless!

3.Yes, most languages create new words by adding pieces at the beginning or at the end of an existing one. But that is not the case. The phrasal verbs probably started as a crazy newspeak attempt to reduce English verbs to just four or five. :-D

4.I have just started. It will take time before I can watch tv. I know this trouble will solve itself in time, it is just irrationally irking me now!

5.Well, the formulation I chose is just a common memory help when French students get introduced to the sad fact they need to remember etre verbs. They are often even told a short story with most the verbs (some teachers draw a rude but cute picture while teaching it). But the German books or teachers don't present anything like that even though it is very similar. Not the same, true. But being constantly told "there is no system, just memorize it" is frustrating. The more that there is a kind of system behind it as you just wrote.

1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4062 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 26
20 August 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Thanks Hekkles, but as I wrote, I already know the remedy for vast majority of this.

2.But I didn't know about the proto Germanic roots, thanks!

1.Well, definite and indefinite, that is usually not the trouble. But have you seen the faces when people get introduced to partitive? Priceless!

3.Yes, most languages create new words by adding pieces at the beginning or at the end of an existing one. But that is not the case. The phrasal verbs probably started as a crazy newspeak attempt to reduce English verbs to just four or five. :-D

4.I have just started. It will take time before I can watch tv. I know this trouble will solve itself in time, it is just irrationally irking me now!

5.Well, the formulation I chose is just a common memory help when French students get introduced to the sad fact they need to remember etre verbs. They are often even told a short story with most the verbs (some teachers draw a rude but cute picture while teaching it). But the German books or teachers don't present anything like that even though it is very similar. Not the same, true. But being constantly told "there is no system, just memorize it" is frustrating. The more that there is a kind of system behind it as you just wrote.

Hey, I didn't know which you knew already and it seems that at least one thing in my post was of help to you so it was worth typing. Oh and I'd pay money to see someone being introduced to partitive.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version