United States
markmaterum.wordpres
Joined 4085 days ago

5 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 3
19 August 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
So I was reading Assimil Spanish with Ease, page 67 Leccion 21 (sorry, can't type accents on this public computer
:( ) and I read something which I have never encountered anywhere else:

It is quite common to use the pronoun le in place of the pronoun lo as a direct object, but there is some
confusion on this point... The real Academia accepts that the pronoun lo may be used as a direct object referring
to persons. Thus we can say either No lo conozco or No le conozco: "I don't know him". At the same time,
however, the Academia recommends that speakers avoid this usage as much as possible.

Up until just now I have never heard of this, so I did some sniffing around on the great interwebs and found some
relevant information. The quotation from Assimil above seems to suggest that le is to be preferred, but
preliminary online research suggests that this construction accepted but not standard Spanish, is isolated to
Spain, and even then only in certain dialects.

I think the websites I found clarified the point sufficiently for me, but so as to ask a relevant question in this
room, to what extent does the Assimil Spanish with Ease course have the leismo (which I understand as the
replacement of lo with le for male people)? Having only recently begun the course, is this construction mentioned
only in passing, will I see it intermittently, or will it be applied rigorously at any and every applicable case? I
prefer the use of lo in all cases for the third person singular nonreflexive direct object, and I am concerned that
as I progress further in the course it may at times be unclear whether or not a particular sentence is a case of
leismo or if the sense of the verb in Spanish necessitates the use of the indirect object even though in English we
would use the direct object.
1 person has voted this message useful

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3929 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 2 of 3
20 August 2013 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
I'm currently doing the third wave in this book and the author, a MadrileƱo uses the leismo in the entire
text. It has also been used throughout the older edition "Spanish without toil" (with better explanations on
grammar) and you'll find it in the newest edition by the same author, which so far is only available in
French as well. Just make sure you have a good grammar book around and you'll be fine. I wholeheartedly
recommend a look at the older edition "Spanish without toil". Some folks, including myself prefer it over
the new one. Great story and ...loads of Gallian humour :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3929 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
20 August 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
BTW:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=36203&PN=1

Might be worth a look - or two.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version