AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 17 of 20
24 August 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I think you may be around the level at which I was a year or so ago with some similar
issues. What helped me from there and what didn't, what I would advise myself a year or a two ago:

1.Get reading. Not children books, unless you enjoy them. BDs are an awesome beginning. Or translated
books of easier genres. For example the French translation of the True Blood books is really good or Harry
Potter is a popular choice. Or books for young readers tend to be easier, such as those by Erik L'Homme,
while not being boring. Get through some and once you are at least a bit comfortable, get to things you really
enjoy and start from there. Discover new authors and build your own French books taste. During that journey,
you will get tons of input and it will move you forward. Use French wikipedia and similar non fiction sources.

2.Get listening. Watching TV shows in French made a world of difference for me. My listening comprehension
went several levels up and so did my ability to think in the language. And surprisingly, it helped with speaking
a lot! There are some tv shows with good quality dubbing and some original ones ideas both on the htlal wikia
or in some logs, such as emk's or mine. And Stelle is totally right about the music

3.Don't stop learning grammar. I didn't have time for this and it is noticeable. Not that much in speaking I dare
guess. But every time I have a second to think about it, for example when writing or when being asked a
question on grammar (like which option is correct or how to say something well), I stumble. Don't make my
mistake. But for that, you don't need to go through basic courses again. Get a good grammar book with
exercises or something other and dense. If grammar learning is not your favourite activity, than make the time
intense so it can be shorter.

And of course there is a lot more you can and should do, such as practice writing and speaking as often as
possible and so on.

Points one and two can be as well seen as a step towards defeating the procrastination. When you read and
watch things you enjoy, than there is no reason for your brain to defend itself by procrastination.

Hi Cavesa,

Very useful comments as well. I have found that over the last year I promissed myself to be open to new
techniques of learning to improve my language learning. The procrastination has obviously been an issue still
(but getting better), but i have certainly taken on board new methods such as SRS FC's, software, books,
music, Yabla online videos and reading wikipedia etc like you suggested. The books you have mentioned I
will certainly take note of. I don't have a huge array of video in French. Although as mentioned I have signed
up to Yabla, and do watch the odd French movie and try to whenever possible while watching things with my
wife to utilise French subtitles- unfortunately not avail. as often as I'd like. But I have found now that although
it's somewhat costly itunes does sell series via the French site with subtitles, or with French audio, so
certainly something to think about, and soon I hope to sign up for French pay TV or satellite. As for the
grammar, I won't let go of that, perhaps it's part of my issue but i won't give up on getting through these
courses if it's the last thing I do, mind you i may need to utilise a lot of other things as mentioned to keep me
motivated.

I really like your last comment btw when you read and watch things you enjoy there's no reason for your brain
to defend itself by procrastination. Very true indeed.

Cheers,
Steve
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 18 of 20
24 August 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Stelle wrote:
Cavesa wrote:

1.Get reading. Not children books, unless you enjoy them. BDs are an awesome beginning.

This is very true. If you don't like children's books in your own language, then you probably won't love them in
your
target language. BUT I think that a lot of adults don't realize how many good children's books there are out
there!

For BDs, I grew up on Asterix!

I think these are good suggestions, but I'm less sure about BDs. I thought BDs in French would be great, but
so far I have found them too colloquial. Could you guys make some suggestions of some BDs which are
more accessible? (Other than Asterix and Tinin... I've definitely got them in my reading queue.)

I must say I really never liked comics in English so reading them in French is a long shot. Mind you I never
tried them, I just never liked the idea of them. So I've got one or 2 French BD's (not Asterix as the reviews for
the e-verions were bad), but I have some very nice illustrated interesting looking BD's that I can try at some
point. I did watch a show recently about the production of comics and it really is something that contains a lot
of creativity and those who make comics/BDs really create some fantastic stuff by the look of it, i've just never
got into them myself. But hey, no harm in trying :)

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 19 of 20
24 August 2013 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I also would be a bit wary of children's books, just because the language is
supposed
to be simpler. I wouldn't rule them out of course, and I've read Harry Potter, and even
Enid Blyton (as an adult), and got something out of them.

The thing is to get something that keeps you turning the pages because it's
interesting, can't-put-down-able.

One thing I really enjoy now is to listen to TL audiobooks, and read the TL book or e-
book at the same time. This doesn't necessarily mean doing the "proper" L-R technique
as described extensively elsewhere on the site (although that might also be worth
looking into). I just find it the most pleasurable way of getting through a TL book.

Once you get to the point where you know how to write down almost every word that you
hear, then you probably don't actually need the written book any more: i.e. you will
get just about as much out of the audiobook as out of the combination. But I still like
to use the combination, when it's convenient, even if I don't strictly need the written
word in front of me.

I also think you are wise to concentrate on one language for a bit. You will get a
boost once you see the progress you are making, and the level you can achieve.

Hi Montmorency,

I tend to agree that reading things you're actually interested in is probably wise. I also think reading childrens
books and only children's books is prob unwise, but at least in the beginning of my reading venture I shall
endeavour to begin with children's books and gradually read more and more difficult books until I am reading
books aimed at adults. I have a real interest in conspiracy theories and have recently found some really
interesting authors:
David Icke
Joseph P. Farrell
Michael Tsarion.
All write in English, but translations are beginning to appear on itunes so i will be looking into them down the
track for sure. I am sure I will find similar authors in French once I gain more confidence in seeking out
French language authors.

Thanks for reinforcing my current strategy of 1 language focus for the time being. It helps put a smile on my
face and feel content (not uncomfortable) that someone else sees the wisdom in this strategy given my track
record. Really appreciate that

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 20 of 20
24 August 2013 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
To all,

I really appreciate all your feedback guys. I haven't acknowledge someone I apologise, I have read
everything and considered it all. I certainly have a lot of useful information at hand with useful tips, books,
ideas, films, techniques etc to add to my already packed repertoire/collection. Which in the end in part
illustrates that (as it's been stated many times before) the most effective method is the one that works (holds
our interest), so I surely can find enough to keep me interested now. However, ultimately it's up to me to
simply develop my self discipline and also very simply, just stop procrastinating. As St Nike said: Just do it.

Btw, although a 'newbie' I have been visiting this site for quite some time exploring opinions, ideas,
differences among our learning strategies and other things... of course admittedly sometimes when I should
certainly be studying. Despite my motivational issues, intellectually speaking, there's nothing i'm more
passionate about in my life now than (learning) languages. What I'm trying to say is, I love this website and
the members and moderators that make it what it is. Cheers everyone!

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version