leibby.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6568 days ago

255 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 9 of 143
17 August 2006 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
delectric wrote:
I find Chinese quite logical now. Especially the writing at least it seems so neat and nicely packaged compared to a language like English with so many spelling exceptions. Then again I don't know if neat = more logical.

But there are more and more redundant expressions. I really hate extra "de" 's, extra "because", "based on" or "therefore" words... "one" or "a" is also overused as some kind of literal translation from English.
1 person has voted this message useful

surfingnirvana
United States
Joined 6606 days ago

37 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Turkish, Japanese, Armenian

Message 10 of 143
20 August 2006 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
I agree with the previous statement in relation to Turkish.

I have begun studying it and, while vastly different from any language I've studied before, it is extremely logical and has few exceptions. There is only one irregular noun in the whole language(su, water), and no irregular verbs! Vowel harmony is easily mastered, and plurality is formed by just a ler or lar!

And it sounds great too ;)

-Alex
6 persons have voted this message useful

HyeLezûn
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6465 days ago

33 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Armenian*
Studies: French

Message 11 of 143
20 August 2006 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Although I think English is an illogical language, I think French has to take the cake for a language that isn't logical. The two mute H's, one allowing for liasons and contractions and the other not allowing for them...is just silly. Also, the "T-inversions," like when "il y a" become "y a-t-il." I think those are so funny.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 12 of 143
21 August 2006 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
On a side note and taking a cue from HyeLez, the most illogical languages for me are a tie between English and French. German is also not far behind because of the rather arbitrary assignment of nouns' gender (as in French.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

hagen
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6742 days ago

171 posts - 179 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 13 of 143
21 August 2006 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Andy_Liu wrote:

But there are more and more redundant expressions. I really hate extra "de" 's, extra "because", "based on" or "therefore" words... "one" or "a" is also overused as some kind of literal translation from English.

Well, some redundancy can make languages a lot easier to understand. For a counter example see Clssical Chinese...

But I think these things are mostly a matter of style. When you're closer to the spoken form of a language (e.g. in informal writing) the redundancies of spoken language will just creep in.

Michael
Diglot
Czech Republic
Joined 6441 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Czech*, EnglishB2
Studies: Latin

Message 14 of 143
02 September 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
I think the most logical language is Latin. It has clear gramatic rules and pronunciation.

linguanima
Bilingual Tetraglot
Australia
Joined 6500 days ago

114 posts - 123 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Spanish, French
Studies: Italian, Latin, German

Message 15 of 143
03 September 2006 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Michael wrote:
I think the most logical language is Latin. It has clear gramatic rules and pronunciation.

Latin?! Latin is not logical at all. The Roman were really funny: they had '-are' conjugation, '-ere' conjugation, '-ire' conjugation, fine. But why did they forge out a confusing, amgiguous 'short e' '-ere' conjugation, and with two cumbersome subdivisions, 'o' type and 'io' type? Personally I find that the most logical language is Turkish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael
Diglot
Czech Republic
Joined 6441 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Czech*, EnglishB2
Studies: Latin

Message 16 of 143
03 September 2006 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
linguanima wrote:
Michael wrote:

Latin?! Latin is not logical at all. The Roman were really funny: they had '-are' conjugation, '-ere' conjugation, '-ire' conjugation, fine. But why did they forge out a confusing, amgiguous 'short e' '-ere' conjugation, and with two cumbersome subdivisions, 'o' type and 'io' type? Personally I find that the most logical language is Turkish.

I do not know Turkoish, but Latin is the most logical language, than i learned.

This discussion contains 143 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version