Groupie
China
Joined 5809 days ago

47 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 7
25 August 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I came across the 6 Week Italki Language Challenge yesterday and I'm thinking of signing
up either for Mandarin or Portuguese lessons. Has anyone completed it before and what was
your experience of it?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 7
25 August 2013 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
i'm doing it right now. 20 lessons in 45 days ends up being 3 lessons a week. If you're starting now, you'll have
42 days, so you'll need to do a lesson every second day. If you have time, it would definitely be a great way to
jump-start your language skills! And if you stick to it, it's nice to get 30 bucks at the end - which, of course, you
can put towards even more language classes.

I'm finding it extremely useful! I'm working with 2 different teachers on a regular basis, and a third (community
tutor) irregularly - maybe once every two weeks.

While I still love my language exchanges, I do find that working 100% in my target language with teachers (rather
than switching halfway through) is providing more than double the improvement.

I use my teachers differently than some people might, though. I don't take formal lessons for the most part. I just
have conversations. Basically, I'm paying someone to talk to me. Ha! But a skilled teacher can provide very brief
and very valuable corrections and mini-lessons throughout a conversation, which I find much more useful than
the "today we're going to learn conditional verbs" approach.

Edited by Stelle on 25 August 2013 at 7:40pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 7
26 August 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
i'm doing it right now. 20 lessons in 45 days ends up being 3 lessons a
week.

So there's no catch? I can get 20 lessons for $10 (assuming I can fit them into however
many days are left)? If I fail the challenge it only costs me $10 and if I succeed I
get a further $30 worth of lessons (and my $10 back)?

Given that they say that last time 90% of participants succeeded, aren't they looking
to lose ~$30 per participant? I suppose that they only need to turn some small
percentage of those into regular customers to make the money back, but it seems to me
that I'm missing something in the maths somewhere.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 4 of 7
26 August 2013 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Stelle wrote:
i'm doing it right now. 20 lessons in 45 days ends up being 3 lessons a
week.

So there's no catch? I can get 20 lessons for $10 (assuming I can fit them into however
many days are left)? If I fail the challenge it only costs me $10 and if I succeed I
get a further $30 worth of lessons (and my $10 back)?

Given that they say that last time 90% of participants succeeded, aren't they looking
to lose ~$30 per participant? I suppose that they only need to turn some small
percentage of those into regular customers to make the money back, but it seems to me
that I'm missing something in the maths somewhere.

No, that's not how it works. You pay 10 dollars to take part. Then you have to take - and pay for - 20 lessons
(which will vary based on how much each teacher charges - italki keeps 15% and the teacher keeps 85%). At the
end, you'll get your 10 dollars back, plus 30 dollars in credits.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4525 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 5 of 7
26 August 2013 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
It's just like Stelle explained, and for me it's still a great deal! I'd certainly take part in it if I had more time...

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 6 of 7
26 August 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
It's just like Stelle explained, and for me it's still a great deal! I'd certainly take part in it if I
had more time...

It's a great deal for me too. I have very high quality Spanish teachers for 10-12 dollars per hour. If I wanted to, I
could find people to practice with for as little as 6 dollars an hour. I was already taking two lessons per week, so
bumping that up to 3 times a week isn't very difficult.

StarcrazyAngel
Triglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5809 days ago

47 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 7
26 August 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your responses guys. It sounds so good. Unfortunately I'm not going to have
enough days to complete enough lessons as I'm going on holiday in a few weeks and won't
have internet connection. I think they run it twice a year anyway so I'll definitely be
taking part next time. The price ranges for lessons are excellent too, much cheaper than
private tutor in the UK.
I'm going to start using the community teachers to see if having full one hour Italian or
Spanish speaking practice will improve my fluency more than a language exchange.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version