Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 7
25 August 2013 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone have or have access to the audio recordings for the course :
Speak Dutch: An Audio-Lingual Course by Dr. Walter Lagerwey ?

The audio can be found here:
http://www.iu.edu/~celtie/dutch_archive.html but is
unfortunately password protected. I am certain that the recordings are public domain as the text has been in the
public domain for many years. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4487 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 2 of 7
25 August 2013 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
You may be right, but just to be clear, the text being in the public domain usually has nothing to do with the legal
status of the audio. For example, Shakespeare's plays are all long since part of the public domain, but that doesn't
mean that Kenneth Branagh's movie renditions of Shakespeare's plays are in the public domain. Just FYI.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 7
26 August 2013 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
...You may be right, but just to be clear, the text being in the public domain usually has nothing
to do with the legal status of the audio....

Whoops, quite true.    Perhaps I should edit my post to say "I am FAIRLY certain that the recordings are public
domain..."
as Dr Lagerwey died several years ago and the publishing company that published Speak Dutch no
longer seems to be in existence...

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 7
05 October 2015 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I came across this Discussion Thread earlier today while searching the Internet for additional information on the textbook "Speak Dutch". I had already opened a separate Discussion Thread on the "New HTLAL" to document my own efforts in this area. Here is the LINK: Speak Dutch (New HTLAL). I have copied/pasted, below, my most recent comments from the separate discussion thread.

In response to my request to remove the restriction on these recorded materials, Ms. Rebecca Muth, Language Materials Coordinator, Center for Language Technology (CeLT), Indiana University, advised me that she could not find specific copyright information pertaining to these audio materials and, quite naturally erring on the side of caution, considers that if a copyright was registered for these materials, it would still be in effect. Thus, the materials remain restricted to registered students.

In an attempt to seek authority for the release of these materials, I have sent a request to the publisher of the textbook, Calvin College, in the person of Frederik Meijer, Chair in Dutch Language and Culture at the college. If Mr. Meijer is not in a position to authorize the release of these materials, I will abandon this small project.
Unquote

Edited by Speakeasy on 05 October 2015 at 10:39pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 7
05 October 2015 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Death doesn't mean copyright comes to an end. Most terms in the West are the authors'
life plus 70 years thereafter.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 7
06 October 2015 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Hi, Elexi:

What you say is generally correct. That is why I am requesting that the (assumed) holder of the copyright grant permission for the release of the audio recordings to the public.

Then again, since I'm rapidly approaching 70 years of age myself, perhaps I can "endorse" the free-of-charge public availability these materials as a matter of "generational privilege".

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 7
06 October 2015 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
I hope you succeed - for me Dutch is the language 'that got away' - the one I always
wanted to devote time to. I have Lagerwey's book and would love for the owners of the
copyright to make the audio available. So full support to you in this project.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version