Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4297 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 10
26 August 2013 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
If all goes well, my wife and I will be having our first child sometime in March next
year. I'm quite excited. One of the jitters I have being a first-time father-to-be is
how I can give my kid the best start possible start in life.

One of the things that stuck in my mind from back in college was a short segment of a
documentary I watched which featured studies that show that babies which hear foreign
languages spoken during the first nine months of their lives will learn foreign
languages faster later on in life. This is because during this crucial stage in their
development babies learn to differentiate sounds used in speech, so if they are not
exposed to the sounds of a particular foreign language, he or she will have difficulty
differentiating the sounds in that language later on in life. I found this
pick-up-languages-faster.html">news article which
neatly summarizes this concept.

I have no formal training in Linguistics. I'm hoping for any advice related to this.

Which foreign languages should I expose my baby to to cover as many different foreign
language sounds as possible?

Also, where can I download or find samples of different foreign languages being spoken
in casual conversation?

edit: I can't get the hyperlink to work above so here it is:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1944528/Babies-who-he ar-foreign-speech-pick-up-
languages-faster.html

Edited by Duke100782 on 26 August 2013 at 1:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5934 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 2 of 10
26 August 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
This talk is controversial here, though I think the research is brilliant.   The researcher makes the mind-blowing claim -- that babies need to hear the voice of a live person. They won't learn sounds from electronic recorded voices. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2XBIkHW954

Edited by cathrynm on 26 August 2013 at 6:04am

3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4342 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 10
26 August 2013 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
The link to the news article doesn't work. :(

Personally, I would be very skeptical of this. News papers generally overblow these sorts of claims, and unfortunately is is not uncommon for researchers to also put an exaggerated newsy spin on a piece of research.

A general useful rule I used to live by when I was a scientist was not believe any research until it was replicated/extended in another laboratory. To generalize from this: It's probably not worth raising your child based on principles from one piece of research by one researcher, especially when the research obviously has a nice hook for the 24 hour news services to pick up on.

Ask yourself one question: why would an infant (i.e. a pre-verbal being) be ready to make fine distinctions in sounds made in languages? I would find this more believable if the time period continued into the time of first language acquisition.

How were the experiments run? They would have had to had a large group of infants some of which were exposed to a 2nd language before 9 months, who then didn't subsequently hear the language (either spoken or on TV/radio), who then attempted to learn the language later in life. People who had Latino wetnurses in LA in the 1980s - matched with people with Anglo wetnurses?

Edited by patrickwilken on 26 August 2013 at 8:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4297 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 

Message 4 of 10
26 August 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
This talk is controversial here, though I think the research is
brilliant.   The researcher makes the mind-blowing claim -- that babies need to hear
the voice of a live person. They won't learn sounds from electronic recorded voices.
Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=G2XBIkHW954

Thanks a lot for the link, the research by Dr. Kuhl was precisely what I was referring
too, however, the first time I came across her research I missed out on the correlation
between there having to be a live person as opposed to the baby just watching TV or a
voice recording.

As mind-blowing as it seems, to me, having to have a human interacting with baby to
activate language learning in a baby's brain sounds plausible. From an evolutionary
viewpoint, it would make sense for a baby to learn to distinguish the different
linguistic sounds only when it is interacting with another human, such as it's mother
or doting relatives, not just when it is listening any ambient or background sounds or
sounds caused by objects.

I'll admit this finding is disappointing for me, I can't just turn on the television to
TVE or CCTV a few hours a day and expect my baby to be able to pick up Spanish or
Mandarin more easily later on. I guess the women speaking Koro to babies featured in
the video already knew this by instinct. Instead of allowing my enthusiasm to be
dampened, I guess this challenges me to become more creative, and it tells me that I
really have to invest more time and effort on my baby if I aspire to have my kid grow
up to be a polyglot or be equipped with other advantages in life.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4297 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 

Message 5 of 10
26 August 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/255/5044/606.short
http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v5/n11/abs/nrn1533.html

Here are links to her publications on this topic. I'll see if I can purchase the articles
to educate myself more on this topic.

Edited by Duke100782 on 26 August 2013 at 3:10pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4718 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 10
26 August 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Duke100782 wrote:
I'll admit this finding is disappointing for me, I can't just turn on the television to
TVE or CCTV a few hours a day and expect my baby to be able to pick up Spanish or
Mandarin more easily later on. I guess the women speaking Koro to babies featured in
the video already knew this by instinct. Instead of allowing my enthusiasm to be
dampened, I guess this challenges me to become more creative, and it tells me that I
really have to invest more time and effort on my baby if I aspire to have my kid grow
up to be a polyglot or be equipped with other advantages in life.

Don't be disappointed. Just realize that there are no magic wands when it comes to raising children. And putting on Mozart while they are sleeping won't make them smarter either.

I would definitely encourage you to speak and read to your baby in as many languages as you can manage. I wish I had spent time reading kids books in Hindi to my children when they were young. It's a great principle to take what you enjoy, and share it with your children as early as possible. You get to keep doing what you like, your children receive attention from you, and the time you spend with them is more fun for both of you.
3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4474 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 10
27 August 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
And putting on Mozart while they are sleeping won't make them smarter
either.

As long as there's no evidence that it's bad for them, it's a cheap gamble, right? :-)

I did leave a CD of Italian songs and rhymes playing whilst my youngest was dropping
off to sleep each night. I've no idea whether it helped with his Italian, but it did
seem to help him drop off.

Jeffers wrote:
You get to keep doing what you like, your children receive attention
from you, and the time you spend with them is more fun for both of you.

This is probably the most important part. If they see you enjoy multiple languages,
maybe they will too. if not, then you've still spent quality time together.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5408 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 8 of 10
28 August 2013 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
There are more studies like that:
Quote:
by showing that infants can discriminate nonnative speech contrasts without relevant experience, and that there is a decline in this ability during ontogeny. Furthermore, data from both cross-sectional and longitudinal studies shows that this decline occurs within the first year of life, and that it is a function of specific language experience.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version