10 messages over 2 pages: 1
milligold
United States
Joined 4680 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: English*

Message 9 of 10
30 August 2013 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
This has nothing to do with the study, but I have a friend whose son grew up with three languages. Right from birth
he spoke to his son in nothing but Armenian. His mother spoke to him only in English. The housekeeper spoke to
him only in Spanish. The kid had no problem learning all three languages. Brilliant.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4253 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 10 of 10
30 August 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
In my younger days didn't get exposed to a second language until after age 10. Someone else in the
family got practice at home in the second language much older when he was in high school.

Recently a relative came from Hong Kong for a visit. The young son around age 5 got exposed to the
second language much earlier and can instantly switch between Cantonese & English depending on who
the speaker is.

It is much easier to learn 2 or more language when you are younger. But there are people who learn to
be fluent in another language after relocating to a different country. A year ago my father's friend came
for a visit. Originally living in S. China and fluent in Cantonese & Mandarin he moved to Thailand with
his wife and both acquired Thai living for a few years. Maybe not as fluent as some native speakers but
sufficient to do shopping in local markets.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version