United Kingdom
Joined 3895 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 24
10 September 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Hello!

It was a busy week in between getting a college routine sorted and having family up.

Well, I decided to go for something more structered so I got the Assimil Spanish With Ease - I'm not going to bother with the active/passive phase as I want to continue speaking of course :)

I also tried shadowing out, in a field! :D Only place I could try it out without everyone thinking I was mad. I got covered in bits of white fluffy stuff from the plants though :S I don't think I'm going to continue with it as I can't easily get into the routine of doing it, but it was good - pretty hard to keep in time with the audio and lots of time it seemed I was garbling stuff.

So basically, I started assimil and went quickly through the first 14 chapters as I already knew the stuff. I've been listening to the advanced podcasts from Notes in Spanish as well.

Had two 30 Min conversational practice as well which is good as I think it's very easy to let those slip when your busy.

Chao

Edited by Caymane on 10 September 2013 at 6:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Caymane
United Kingdom
Joined 3895 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes

Message 10 of 24
13 October 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
The weeks passed so quickly I forgot to leave a post! /o\

I've continued my regime of studying and speaking. I do need to push into having more in depth conversations as I'm finding it easy to get complacent when your speaking well about general everyday topics.

Still using Assimil up to lesson 40 now, I've learnt a few interesting things from it. I wonder sometimes though if some of the constructions it uses are a bit dated now as it was published in the 1980's. Anyone have some thoughts on how dated Assimil's Spanish course is?

Hasta pronto :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 11 of 24
26 October 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
I don't think the 1980s course is bad at all in terms of being dated. Some of the phrases are a little funny to use in Latin America (I got a number of chuckles from Latinos), but I don't think it is out of date at all. In fact, I think it is very helpful.

I used the older course (the Spanish Without Toil from 1957) and I definitely think that has a lot of out of date content. People on this site like the 1957 course (and I agree that it is jam packed with content), but I recommend against it as being out dated and having better options.

Assimil's Using Spanish is the advanced course and seems perfectly good as well.

Of course, they are coming out with a new "with Ease" level course next month in the English base so if you don't like the one you are using you can use that. That was written in 2004. Oh, only if they had a Latin American course.

Caymane
United Kingdom
Joined 3895 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes

Message 12 of 24
02 November 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the thoughts, I don't think the 1980's one is that bad, I just thought some of the sentences seemed a bit off, maybe as a result of the translation?

They are bringing out a new Spanish with ease course? I'll have to remember that. :)

Caymane
United Kingdom
Joined 3895 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes

Message 13 of 24
10 November 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Time for another update :-)

Well, I found a very useful application called Toggl which records time spent on different projects. I've been using it to record my work, including Speaking, Assimil and Time I spent watching Tv in Spanish.

This is my time log for 3 days since Friday

Assimil Study                      01:11:09      
     (Native) Spanish podcast      25:00 min      
     Spanish TV                      39:34 min      
     (Speaking) Describing Pictures      30:00 min      
     (Speaking) General Conversation 33:00 min

I'm going to start writing out sample letters/ CV's for the written part of the B2 exam. This is one of those areas where the format of the writing should (hopefully) be rigid.

Caymane
United Kingdom
Joined 3895 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes

Message 14 of 24
23 November 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
New update on Toggl for this week

Assimil Study                      02:44:54
     (Native) Spanish podcast      02:00:00
     Spanish TV                      02:00:00
     (Speaking) Describing Pictures      01:00:00
     (Speaking) General Conversation 01:00:00

Total 8.44 Hours

Although I've decided to stop using Toggl though as it's a real pain to use when I try and enter stuff that I do offline - I have to enter all the information manually and it takes ages!

I'm up to lesson 70 on Assimil and I've started to structure my Skype sessions more. Now I'm struggling through trying to debate something or describe a particular image. From what I've read this is how the exam is set so if I can get a good flow going on this I hopefully I won't feel so lost.

I also wrote a casual letter on Lang-8 to be corrected - If anyone here uses that site you will know that depressing feeling you get when the piece of writing you spent so long on comes back with loads of corrections on it! :P

Anyway, until next time

Caymane
United Kingdom
Joined 3895 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes

Message 15 of 24
06 December 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Desde hoy voy a escribir mis aportes en español.

Sigo estudiando con assimil, estoy hasta lección 81. Creo que lo importante con assimil es que, nada más estudiar, tienes que utilizar lo que has aprendido cuanto antes!. Tambíen continúo hablando con gente a través de skype – intento pasar al menos 6 horas por semana. Y cuando voy a mi escuela por autobús escuchar a una selección de podcasts. Así que no perdio el tiempo!

He descubrido que en Gales los precios de los exames de DELE son muy altos. :( Cuesta £142 (142 libras) , sí hubiera sabido que los precios fueran ser tan altos, quizás no hubiera puesto una cita para el examen. Pero bueno :)

Las correciones son bienvenidas!

Caymane
United Kingdom
Joined 3895 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes

Message 16 of 24
01 January 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Happy New Year everyone!

Edit:I don't believe it - I went and wrote a long update post - and then the site went and ate it! D:

So, just a quick update then to say then that I decided against continuing writing posts in Spanish as I'd rather write them on a place like Lang-8 (It takes me a long time to form my thoughts when writing :) so they could get corrected.

I'm spending more time speaking than studying nowadays - I'm defiantly improving on my general sentence-forming but I'm running foul of irregular verbs. Tener > tuve and other similar common verbs are easy, as I use them a lot but other verbs which are not so common, and irregular, are catching me out.

Also I found that there was a new Notes in Spanish series that I hadn't heard about (Notes in Spanish Gold) so I've started listening to it. Mostly seems to focus on colloquial and untranslatable phrases.

Until next time!

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version