Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Which Hogwarts House do you identify as?

Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 29
26 August 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Inspired by the post I quoted in my log, I got curious which Hogwarts houses other members identify with, if any.

THE POLL IS HERE (if it wasn't an external poll it would have to be in the General discussion subforum)

If you actually choose a house, reply seriously. Please don't answer Slytherin just because they are the villains in the books (or Gryffindor just because of the main characters). Gryffindor is about being courageous and wanting glory, Slytherin is about being ambitious and wanting power. No house is defined by being good or bad.

It's not an attempt to figure out the *best* personality type for language learning - various types succeed for various reasons and in various ways, that's why there are so many methods out there. As I said, I'm just curious :)
1 person has voted this message useful

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4532 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 2 of 29
26 August 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm reading the Harry Potter books for the umpteenth time now, this time in Hungarian, so I've been thinking about this as well. I know I'm neither Gryffindor, no hint of bravery here, nor Slytherin, as I have even less ambition than bravery. I think I'd most probably be in Ravenclaw, although I identify more with Hufflepuff's ideals, such as hard work and patience, even though I don't live up to them. Ravenclaw's values are a better description of me, but I don't make a particular effort to value intelligence and knowledge.

The situation is further clouded by the fact that my friends are split: About half of them say I'd be a Hufflepuff, half Ravenclaw. So I don't know what to identify as.

Edited by nonneb on 26 August 2013 at 7:23pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 29
26 August 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'd say it's more important what you value, even if you think you don't live up to the ideals. (look at Neville) The people who already work hard will feel the need to work even harder :)

Also bravery doesn't have to be the kind that the books focus on :)

and to continue the discussion from my log:

Selfishness is not a defining trait of Slytherin. I think all it says about one is that you're not a Hufflepuff.
and don't get me started about Pottermore, heh. I got into Hufflepuff because I said I hate being called selfish.
This awesome blog explains how the sorting actually works and what problems are there.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 4 of 29
26 August 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
As Serpent knows, I think I would belong in Slytherin, and especially the 11-year old version of myself would
have been dying to get in there. I also said that Gryffindor was the last place I'd ever see myself. However, I
just realized that Ron Weasley is the only canonical example of someone speaking Parseltongue as an L2...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 5 of 29
26 August 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Dumbledore speaks it too, along with Mermish and other magical languages I think.
(which is one reason why the Pottermore sorting is problematic - if I say I want to study merpeople, it doesn't understand that it's because of the language, so the answers goes to Slytherin because this house is associated with water. too much element symbolism, meh)
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 6 of 29
26 August 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I know he spoke Mermish, but isn't him having passive skills in P.T. Extra-canonical? I'm not aware of
*explicit* textual support for this idea.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 29
26 August 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the Pottermore test seems to be weird as I got sorted to Hufflepuff :-D Far too many of those tests (and I tried a lot when HP was at the peak of popularity and I was still a child) is that they often include questions like "which of the four is your favourite colour?" "Do you prefer towers to dungeons?" and so on.

http://www.personalitylab.org/cgi-bin/ccq_hogwarts_process.c gi

this one seems to be well thought out and my results corresponds more or less with what I had expected.

A close tie between Ravenclaw and Slythering.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 8 of 29
26 August 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
That's quite the test. Strong Ravenclaw, according to that one. Maybe if I said I'm abusive and pick on people
I'd get Slytherin? The other 3 options weren't too close. The test I took, and got strong Slytherin, possible
Ravenclaw, and definitely nothing else, is the one below:

http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/the-sorting-hat-pottermore- test-all-questions/

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version