Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Which Hogwarts House do you identify as?

Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
29 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 29
26 August 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I know he spoke Mermish, but isn't him having passive skills in P.T. Extra-canonical? I'm not aware of
*explicit* textual support for this idea.
ah, you mean actually speaking. interesting. i think he could've used it the way Ron did, even without an explicit example. But yeah we only know about the passive skills.

Cavesa, you might have got into Hufflepuff because some answers are overpopular, like whether you want to be trusted/liked/praised/envied/imitated/feared (most people pick trusted or liked, both are Hufflepuff). Also, do you like the magical plants and animals? By this test, even Hagrid could be a Hufflepuff :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 29
26 August 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
That's quite the test. Strong Ravenclaw, according to that one. Maybe if I said I'm abusive and pick on people
I'd get Slytherin? The other 3 options weren't too close. The test I took, and got strong Slytherin, possible
Ravenclaw, and definitely nothing else, is the one below:

http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/the-sorting-hat-pottermore- test-all-questions/
IDK if it would, but it shouldn't. There are nasty people in all houses.
That test is not necessarily representative of Pottermore results, btw. It offers you all 27 possible questions, from which the PM quiz chooses 7, but these seven are not entirely random. There are 7 types of questions, and only one can be asked from each type.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 29
26 August 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
It depends on the questions you get. I didn't get any of these two. (And I would have probably said praised or envied :-D ) I tried to get to Slytherin now (tried again after a year or so and found they changed the website to much worse), and now I got to Gryffindor! And I am one of the worst cowards I know!

Btw I always wondered why Hogwarts don't teach some related muggle subjects as well (like making people understand the physics they are breaking or the history as a whole so that noone could accidentally damage it with a time-turner. or imagine the potential of mixing genetics with magic!) and languages. They learn ancient runes and that is all. They have good relations with some foreign schools, there are dragon related jobs in Romania, there is a lot of admiration towards some foreign or historical approaches to magic, there are natives of mermen language in the lake yet noone among the students is taught any foreign language. Don't you find it shortsighted? :-D
4 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 12 of 29
26 August 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
I was saying I wasn't even aware of any proof that he understands it, other than a J K Rowling interview. Is
there somewhere in the books that proves that Dumbledore understands Parseltongue?

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 13 of 29
27 August 2013 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
I went to a school that had houses. It was even partly a boarding school, although it
wasn't much like Hogwarts, although the headmaster at one time was an Irishman with a
pointed nose and a long gown (priest's not wizard's). I was a "daybug".

Each house was named after some person significant in the Catholic church. Two were
martyrs, one had been a famous cardinal. I never did find out who the other was.
Perhaps another martyr.

I don't think people's personal characteristics were taken on board in order to "sort"
them. Presumably done by lots. The houses were mostly used for sporting purposes and
there was a weekly competition in the lower school to see which house could get the
most "good marks" and fewest "bad marks" for school work, with modest rewards and
punishments being given to the winning and losing houses. The older we got, the less
significant the houses became.

In the 1st year, I suppose I went along with it dumbly enough, like everyone else,
swallowing the false loyalty to our house that we were supposed to display, but with
adult hindsight, I don't go along with this system at all.

Just a crude attempt to inculcate tribalism into us at a formative stage, as if humans
didn't suffer enough from that vice.

I know this is meant to be a light-hearted thread, but I'm not going along with it.
In answer to the question: none of them. I prefer to be an individual, and don't think
that individuals fit neatly into one of four categories, or even four hundred.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 29
27 August 2013 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Well, Hogwarts is kinda like the UK in this regard, hehe. And those from France are little better, unlike those from Durmstrang (Norway or Sweden).

geoffw, I think that the scenes in HBP when he shows him the memories prove it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 29
27 August 2013 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
@Montmorency, well, I do wish I could study/hang out with more people who are like me and understand me. Of course humans don't fit perfectly into any number of categories, but as for the Hogwarts house qualities, everyone has at least some of them, at least to an extent.

Edited by Serpent on 27 August 2013 at 1:26am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5547 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 16 of 29
27 August 2013 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Ravenclaw. Obviously. Luna Lovegood style.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version