Rhesus
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4570 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 1 of 19
27 August 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
After four disappointing semesters of Latin at university, I had little proficiency to show for my efforts. As such, I
recently decided to take up the language again, teaching myself from a variety of resources. Below is the "system" I
have implemented:

First, I review a "chunk" of vocabulary using the flashcard iPhone app "Brainscape." Immediately following this, I
complete all the grammatical and translation exercises in a chapter of Shelmerdine's Introduction to Latin (checking and correcting
with the answer key, as needed).

Following this, I read a chapter of Lingua Latina: Familia Romana. During this reading, I do my best not to translate
anything, but instead practice sight-reading as well as reinforce my understanding of grammar through a "natural"
means. Immediately after reading the chapter, I listen to the audiobook of the same chapter, concentrating on
understanding (again, not translating) the story.

Next I write about one page of Latin making use of the vocabulary which I have just reviewed. What I write is at best
childish, but more often utter nonsense, though I do feel that the practice in composing from scratch, rather than
translating from English, is doing a lot to reinforce my use of expectations and understandings of the language. (If it
is of interest, when I compose, I do make use of macrons.)

Lastly, I read about three pages of unaltered, original Latin literature. These I draw from Hadas and Suits' Latin
Selections/Florilegium Latinum: A Dual Language Book. While I still cannot translate, much less sight-read these
selections, I do my best to make out what I can, and then turn to the facing English translation to make sense of it. I
do this to get experience of "real" Latin and seeing how Latin authors themselves used the language.
_____

So, what say you? Do you believe that this is an effective system for learning a language? Would you add something?
Do you believe one of these activities is not worthwhile? Furthermore, should these activities be done in one sitting
or would I be better served to divide these activities throughout my day? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Vale!
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 19
27 August 2013 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
This sounds great. Whatever level you're at, you might find the currect activity boring or useless. Changing activity is often a good idea. Whether it's best to spread them throughout the day or do everything at once, it's hard to tell. Maybe it doesn't matter. If you can manage to do them all in one sitting, why not at least try it for a couple of days.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 19
27 August 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Sounds like a good plan, Rhesus! I listen and read Lingua Latina in bitesize sections each day, as I quite like Hans Orberg's voice on the recordings. Incidentally, which chapter are you up to in "Familia Romana", and how are you enjoying it so far?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 19
27 August 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I suppose that Dual language book has original texts with reasonably literal translations? Else you should include some bilingual editions in your study plan - they are just the thing you need if you almost, but not quite can read Latin texts freely. I can understand that you try to avoid translating while you read, but then you can run through a paragraph or so in translation before you turn to the same paragaph in Latin. The consequence of almost, but not quite being able to read a text is that you get tired, you skip the details and the total meaning becomes one big fuzzy blob without fixed contours. Then it is better to integrate a translation into your study routine, but in a way where you still get the experience of reading at least a paragraph or two directly from the page. And understand it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rhesus
Joined 4570 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 5 of 19
28 August 2013 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Jeff! I've found myself doing the first three activities in one sitting then saving the fourth for later in the day.
It seems to serve me well enough!

Tac Winner, I completed "Capitulum V" this morning. I'm still beginning with this new system, and just found Lingua
Latina. It was exactly what I was looking for in trying to find Latin texts which I could read without translating. As for
the audio, I greatly enjoy listening to the chapter right after I read it, but Orberg's recordings are not ideal.

Iversen, indeed, the authors claim to provide a faithful yet idiomatic translation. Having taken Latin in college, I can
recognize nuances of the translation, appreciating the meaning of the original Latin text. These works are not ones
which I attempt to read without translation, as I would be utterly incapable of that. I often do as you recommend,
reading a section in English and then turning to Latin and deciphering the original.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 19
28 August 2013 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
You will forgive me for the tongue-in-cheek comment, but I couldn't help but notice that the thread's title is "Learning Latin through Multiple Mediums".

Given the theme, shouldn't it be "Learning Latin through Multiple Media"? :P

Once again, I apologise, but I couldn't resist.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rhesus
Joined 4570 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 7 of 19
28 August 2013 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
Luso, though my usage can be considered correct, as a Latinist, I admit to your comment.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 8 of 19
28 August 2013 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
You will forgive me for the tongue-in-cheek comment, but I couldn't help but notice that the thread's title is "Learning Latin through Multiple Mediums".

Given the theme, shouldn't it be "Learning Latin through Multiple Media"? :P

It all depends on whether you consider Latin a dead language... ;)

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version