Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3945 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 1 of 4
28 August 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
I know Afrikaans isn't among the most commonly learned languages, but as I'm currently writing my blog about learning it and have now set up an entire category on "Entertainment" in it, I thought I might as well share my findings here.

TV and movies:
-7de Laan
-Vetkoekpalais
-Orkney snork nie
-the Moomins (s. Youtube)

Music - I can only give you my personal preferences here:
-Dans Dans Lisa
-Glaskas
-Die Heuwels Fantasies

Blogs:
-PieterAfrikaans – I’m now subscribed to his YouTube Channel and downloaded a few of his recordings as mp3, because I want to practice pronouncing things a bit more native-speaker like and he does some very simple and easy to understand stuff.
-Alexander se blog - Entirely kept in Afrikaans by now, but Alex is actually a British Afrikaans learner himself. I added him on Facebook. He recommends reading Wikipedia articles in Afrikaans and compare it to the English to get a better grasp of the grammar and learn new words and phrases.
-The Afrikaans Tutor - Jackie has a very cool vlog with short and practical lessons on Afrikaans.
-Verdant San Francisco - This is a cooking blog in Afrikaans by another Afrikaans learner.

Podcasts:
-RSG podcasts (finally some working podcasts!)

Magazines / News papers:
-The South African – This link is to an article Alexander wrote.
-Sarie.com

Afrikaans – Radio stations:
-RSG
-Jacaranda FM
-Radio Pretoria

I only recommend Radio Pretoria if you have no problem with old-fashioned music. It’s all Afrikaans at least. Here’s an overview of all the other South African radio stations out there.

I would insert the links here, if I could, but it seems as though this isn't possible. If you want the links to the resources, visit my blog (s. my profile) and filter by category "2a) Sources/learning material" and "2e) Entertainment in Afrikaans"

Edited by Theycalme_Jane on 28 August 2013 at 12:12pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5082 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 4
28 August 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried Radiobooks in South Africa. The "books" are really audio short stories, about a half an hour long, without a text to follow. Five are available in Afrikaans. By clicking on the Radiobooks English site you can download the English audio. Translations are also available in French, Dutch and Spanish, again- audio only.

An additional seven of the short stories are available for free download at Radioboeken en citybooks in het Afrikaans for a total of 12 altogether.

Edited by iguanamon on 28 August 2013 at 1:41pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

t1234
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3958 days ago

38 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Turkish, Polish

Message 3 of 4
28 August 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
One additional resource which may be useful is the past exams for final year school students:

http://www.education.gov.za/Examinations/PastExamPapers/Afri kaansPapers/tabid/496/Default.aspx

1st additional language, paper 1 is probably the most useful for you.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Theycalme_Jane
Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3945 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 4
29 August 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both very much! These look very helpful. I will include them in my next post on sources / learning material. :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version