Radiobooks- short story audio in 5 langs

Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5065 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 2
28 August 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
If you're looking for free and legal audio "books" in Dutch, French, English, and even five audios in Afrikaans, try Radiobooks and click on the language tabs. The "books" are contemporary short stories from Dutch and Flemish-speaking authors in Holland and Belgium. The audios are about a half an hour long and most are available in English translation. The project is a partnership between the Dutch and Belgian governments and Radio Nederlands. The home page say that they are working on Indonesian and Papiamento translations too.

Here's the downside, I can't find any of the texts. What a shame they're not made available on the site. Still there's a lot of audio available. I counted about 95 in Spanish- at half an hour apiece that's almost 48 hours of Spanish audio stories for download.

The French page has a section called Radiolivres pour enfants with 17 audios available in French and Dutch, again no texts, with the same thing available at the Dutch page. Radioboeken voor kinderen

Many learners want to improve their listening. Listening without a text is challenging, but doing so has helped me tremendously with learning Portuguese. I work with a tutor who has the same audio/video I'm using and we go over it together. I write a synopsis and tell the story and receive correction and advice. For those without such a tutor available, one can listen to the English translation to understand the story and then the TL. Of course, this will work best if you are at an intermediate or advanced level. You could still write a synopsis and post it for correction, Still, I'd love to get my hands on those transcripts!

Edit: A further search for the transcripts has led me to The Foundation for the Production and Translation of Dutch Literature which has sample pdfs, some quite large, of translations to English for free downloads including children's books. Still no original texts available. Could be a good resource for Dutch learners.

Edited by iguanamon on 28 August 2013 at 1:53pm

14 persons have voted this message useful

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4274 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 2 of 2
08 September 2013 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
That is an awesome link. Thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version