Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Reasons to write in your target language?

Tags: Writing
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 13
29 August 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
When you're shadowing in order to develop fluency/speed, I'd say you can use a transcript (from GLOSS, maybe?) and just speak along with the recording, especially if you've listened to it a few times already. Don't worry that you stop listening and paying attention to individual sounds. Your pronunciation is okay, you just need to practise actually speaking.

Edited by Serpent on 29 August 2013 at 3:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 13
29 August 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Writing is the language skill I practise the least. When I speak, I can
make gestures and get enough instant feedback to communicate. Speaking draws
the language out of me, whereas writing is painfully slow and there's no hiding place
for poor grammar or spelling. However I want to write more because:
1. There are lots of opportunities to use my TL through emails. I'm tired of sending a
short email or, worse, resorting to English.
2. To drill grammar.
3. To improve accuracy and spontaneity in speech. If I can write it, I can speak it (at
least that's what I hope!). This last reason is the most important for me, so I am
thinking of writing down imaginary dialogues. To comment about things in my mind such
as the weather, and then sit down and write that comment in my TL.

What are some of the reasons you write?
How do you practise?

I can't say that I have done the following myself, but if your speaking is a lot better
than your writing, you might try:

Imagine you are dictating a piece of writing (be it a letter, or an essay, an article,
or a report, or whatever), to your "secretary" (ha!), and try to speak as though it
were actually going to be transcribed into writing. And actually record yourself doing
it.

Hopefully this will encourage you to speak in a more formal and grammatical style that
will work in writing.

Now whether you actually listen and transcribe what you recorded is up to you
(listening to at least some of it is probably useful for a variety of reasons). You
might find that a bit tedious - depends on your patience levels or whatever.

But hopefully it will help your writing style.

Not sure if it would help me as much, since my speaking is almost always not as good as
my writing........but that's another problem: I need to encourage myself to speak a lot
more.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5914 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 11 of 13
29 August 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the idea!
I think there are a number of angles here.
If I just want to practise accuracy, then writing short sentences of the more descriptive kind would help. Such as "the cat sat on the mat until the dog arrived" etc.
But if I want to practice communication of a more colloquial kind, then writing dialogues, posing questions and responses would be better. Such as "yeah, I know what you mean. My dog does the same. What vet do you reccommend?" etc.

My speaking isn't great either. On the one hand, speaking is more comfortable because I get prompts, hints and feedback from my conversation partner which draws the speech forth. On the other hand, I'm getting away with murder when it comes to the grammar. I also have the added pressure of listening, composing and delivering speech virtually simultaneously. My point is, that if I have regularly practised composing written dialogue and thoughts then hopefully my speech will flow better (in terms of speed, accuracy, style and appropriateness). And I can take as much time as I want to practise these written compostions and streams of consciousness.

We're all different though. I'm definitely a visual learner, I like to read and see the written word. So when listening or speaking, I tend to visualise the word in my mind first. But as Amorey Gethin (co-author of "The Art and Science of Learning Languages") points out: "The majority of the humans who have existed have probably been illiterate, and so cannot have 'seen' any words they heard" [and spoke - my addition].

If you have the number of that "secretary", let me know. I need all the help I can get!

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3938 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 12 of 13
30 August 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
I not only enjoy writing, I really love it. Over the years it has become an essential part of
what I do for a living; I'm currently working on 3 books. The best part: I can do it just
about everywhere like my other job, so I keep moving. Regarding learning languages I guess
writing short pieces and imaginary dialogues is the single most efficient activation
technique next to self talk that I know of before I actually start to get on peoples nerves
somewhere out there. I usually start writing those pieces, when I'm around A2 or have
finished a basic Assimil course. Usually the new words I have to look up here and there as
well as all the grammar just stick and stay active for a while to come.Producing meaningful
contents in L2 just becomes more and more automatic - way to go. Of course it's even more fun
with languages that come with their own alphabet, Nepali in my case (I ditched Japanese years
ago, but that's a different story). Besides, I've been a huge fan of the A6 format for many
years, so I keep collecting those pieces, notes, tables, etc... in little folders of that
size, Moleskine-style.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4253 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 13 of 13
30 August 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Nowadays writing should include any texting & E-mail in foreign languages as well. Most people no
longer write letters in the sense of using pen and paper. Even letters are typed and printed on computer
with proper spell-check when possible.

In my younger days when I was learning Chinese, my parents never encouraged me to write using the
language very much. Back then writing a letter was a formal affair. It is not you expressing what you
want to say but there is a certain "proper" content style people follow like in the first and last
paragraphs you would always write certain things. Kind of deterrent for writing seriously. Also my
parents were really the know-all type. None of my siblings could argue with them on anything. When it
comes to writing in Chinese not only that they had more formal education in the language but somehow
my siblings and myself tend to associate Chinese with tough parenting so we would stay away from it...
nothing to do with the language being easy or hard.

Sometime ago met someone from the US while travelling in Asia. He wanted to keep up with his Chinese
so we started exchanging letters a few times a year. About 10 years ago I stopped writing and started
using all sorts of Chinese input software. He recently started to type his letters as well. Spending time
on online blogs you find people tend to be much more informal about their typed messages. You feel
more comfortable expressing yourself.

Recently got into translating work for web-pages already online from English to Chinese. Started with
Google translate. Found some pages more acceptable than others and ended up doing 40% of the work
over to make the text more readable. Relied a lot on online dictionaries to look-up characters. It is a
work related issue. In today's job market you don't want to turned down a job request or someone else
would get it.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version