United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4479 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 1 of 7
01 September 2013 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
So, I'm considering tackling Turkish in the next few months and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with FSI Turkish. I know the FSI courses vary quite a bit in their quality depending on the language and I was curious about the content, accuracy and overall usefulness of the FSI Turkish course.

Any feedback would be great!
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 7
01 September 2013 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
I haven't tried this one. But FSI is usually super thorough. Only problem may be the
audio quality.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5052 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 7
01 September 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I remember seeing posts that talked about some of the vocabulary being out of date, but that being not such a big deal. Check out Daristani's post on this HTLAL thread: FSI Turkish and also this thread may be of interest: How outdated is FSI Turkish?.

Outdated vocabulary in a course, to me, is not that big a deal because I am not just using a course. I am using several other resources at the same time besides the course, bilingual texts, songs, children's books, listening to the news with a transcript, using a tutor/language exchange, etc.

FSI, is very thorough and you can't beat the price- free! You may have to unlearn some dated vocabulary but that's a small price to pay for such a resource. If you use other resources as well, you'll get the updated vocabulary you'll need.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5655 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 4 of 7
02 September 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I believe the first half of the course only teaches around 500 words, it's more focused on getting you used to the structure/grammar of Turkish. In the second half, once you're a little more familiar with the structure of Turkish they spend more time on vocabulary, introducing another 2000 or so words. I haven't done the course either and can't remember where i read that, maybe in the student text?

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4479 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 5 of 7
02 September 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the responses everyone. I really appreciate it. Sounds like a decent course to get my feet wet and gain a solid foundation in the grammar and core vocab. I will be supplementing with some other resources as well.

Thanks again!

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5655 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 6 of 7
02 September 2013 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
I'd be interested to know how it goes for you if you do decide to follow through the course :)

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6265 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 7
06 September 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
I personally use FSI for Turkish and I think it's very good. It covers all the main
grammatical issues and TONS of audio material to drill what you're learning

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version