Diglot
Germany
Joined 5991 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish

Message 33 of 46
01 January 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I also think that the books will come in handy. Since Stein på Stein has only one hour of audio material and 17 lessons I hope I can finish it in a week. I have one textbook that you didn't use, Lær mer norsk. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the CDs because they were too expensive. And now it looks like the book doesn't get printed any more. I really liked it some years before and I intend to use it as my last textbook.

Norwegian
On babbel.com I did the course for spare time. As always I forgot to look how much time I spend on it. They have eleven more courses.
I could only complete one lesson of Stein på Stein but I found some sentences (with sound) and some definitions that where worthwhile to add to Anki.

English
I did three lessons on babbel (and forgot to measure how long that took me). The second lesson in my book did not go so well. I'll repeat it next week.

Edited by Othar on 01 January 2014 at 9:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5991 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 34 of 46
02 January 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Norwegian
On babbel I did the course for clothing. My favorite word here is "tversoversløyfe". After that I listened to a podcast about loneliness. With Stein på Stein I completed lessons two and three and did some of the exercises. Then I browsed a website with proverbs. False friend of the day: "bite i gresset". This means to admit a mistake. The German translation (in's Gras beißen) means "to die".

English
I completed one of the grammar courses on babbel and the third lesson of my book.

Now I'm going to see another episode of Doctor Who and then the second episode of Halvbroren.

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5991 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 35 of 46
03 January 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Norwegian
Yesterday I saw only the first half of Halvbroren. I'll see the other half tonight.
Today's babbel course what about communication. I only managed to do one lesson of my text book because I found some interesting phrases and did some of the exercises. I hope to complete more lessons in the next two days. I'm not sure if I can complete a lesson per day when my holidays are over. We'll see...

English
I listened to several podcasts and saw a documentation about New Zealand. Nice country. I'd like to visit that one too.

The topic of the next pronunciaton lesson was /æ/ and /eɪ/. I had no problems distinguishing the sounds but I think I speak the /æ/ more like the German "ä". My tries to pronounce it correctly were not really successful. Sometimes it worked but mostly it didn't.

So I won't do the lesson again but I kept the sound files on my player so I can shadow the texts again and again in the next days.

Edited by Othar on 03 January 2014 at 10:35pm

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5991 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 36 of 46
10 January 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
What a week... my computer threw in the towel on Saturday evening and since Monday I've got a toothache. I'm even on sick leave since yesterday. And now I have to work on the weekend because I couldn't finish something that has to be ready on Sunday. Enough whining - let's see what I managed to do.

Norwegian
I finished Stein på Stein today. Tomorrow I start with Bo i Norge.
I still have some courses from babbel left. Now that my holidays are over I only do two or three lessons that share the same topic per day.
I listened to at least 20 minutes of a podcast every day and in my lunch pauses I shadowed some material from the text books while walking through the park.
I started reading "Magellans Kors" av Roar Sørensen while commuting. My ebook reader says I'm at 13% now.

Turkish
I started on Monday with Assimil and managed to do one lesson each day. I'm listening and shadowing to the lesson while walking to the bus stop. I didn't count how often I listen to a lesson but I think it must be at least five times. When I'm at the bus stop I can pronounce the text sufficiently and since I had tried Turkish before I have an idea what large parts of the text mean. On the bus I read the text for the first time and compare it with my previous assumptions. When I have to leave I've read all the explanations. Then I listen a last time to the audio while waiting for the tram.

English
I could only do three lessons of my pronunciation book but I listened to several podcasts and saw several episodes of Doctor Who.
Emme suggested following a mooc as a challenge. I couldn't resist and listened to the first lesson of the Game Theory course. I would have preferred a more technical topic like Computer Networks but Yale seems to be more business orientated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 37 of 46
11 January 2014 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
Great job on Turkish, taking advantage of bus time!

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5991 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 38 of 46
12 January 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I worked all day and didn't have any time for languages. I saw Taxi Driver in English but that doesn't really count. I always see an English film on Saturday. And that was an American one.

Today was a bit better. I worked less (and will be in much trouble tomorrow) and did two lessons each of Bo i Norge and Kolay Türkçe and one lesson of the pronunciation book.

I have to work more on my active skills. I was going to write a little text on lang-8 every day but I didn't know what to write. Now I'll sit down and make a list with topics for the coming week. We'll see how that works.

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5991 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 39 of 46
19 January 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Norwegian
Today I wrote my first text for lang-8. I was going to do this on Monday but procrastination got the better of me.
I should be able to finish Bo i Norge next week. I don't find many new words in the book but today I met some phrases that I wouldn't have used myself. That's what I find difficult at this stage of learning: I don't have to think about what they mean. But I have to recognize that they are used in a different situation or that I haven't seen the words in this combination. I only put such phrases in Anki when they are really special or when there are prepositions involved. Usually I just say they loud and write them on a sheet of paper. When the sheet is full or when I tidy my desktop I read the list again and throw the sheet away after that.

I started viewing the first film of Olsenbanden. Tonight I'll see the second half. I see it in parts because I get to bed to late for viewing a full film.
And then I did something really stupid. I walked to the library and looked for the original (Danish) film. I'll see this one next week in Danish without subs. I'm not really suffering from wanderlust here. But I grew up with those films and I'd like to see what the Norwegians changed. And I'm curious about how much I can understand.

Turkish
I finished the 14th lesson today. At the moment I'm just following the lessons but next week I want to write something in Turkish for the first time. I'm not sure if I should start to actively learn the vocabulary and grammar or if I should just keep it coming. I do not intend to make an Anki deck for Turkish. I'm playing with the idea of a gold list. I've never done that before.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 40 of 46
25 January 2014 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
I can only dream of the day I write a turkish text. Go for it!

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version