Joined 5995 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish

Message 25 of 46
27 December 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
TAC 2014 and other goals

Team Åsgard (Norwegian)
I started anew with Norwegian in last September. I fell in love with this language
while fiddling around in Wikipedia. After reading enough I found that I like the
country too. If my Norwegian is good enough I might even try to get a job there for a
year or two.

Goal
I would rate both passive skills at B2 and my active skills at A2.
I want to be able to take the Bergenstest (B2/C1) written and spoken without any
trouble at the end of the year. I won't actually do the test if I don't have to (it's a bit expensive...) but I might try the example test.

Team Yürükler (Turkish)
I began to learn this beautiful language some years before. After some months I had to
abandon it with all my other language learning activities because of real life issues.
Now I'm back on track and I want to try it again. I intend to start with Turkish after
the end of my holidays on January 6th.

Goal
I do not start at zero but my skills are clearly below A1.
I want to be able to understand a book (written and audio) without the use of a
dictionary at the end of the year. I don't have a concrete book in mind and it doesn't
have to be the same book for reading and listening.
With my active skills I want to reach a comfortable B1.

Advanced ESL Team English
This was the second foreign language I learned at school. Because I didn't have any use for them I forgot nearly everything about both of the languages for the next ten years. Then came the internet and I had access to tons of information, mostly in English. I simply started reading and never stopped. What I hardly ever did was listening to or writing in English. And until today I've never spoken English outside of a school environment.
When I had to attend school again in 2010 I had some English lessons. I learned that my pronunciation was a horrible mix of AE, BE and complete nonsense and that I had shortcomings in some grammar topics. That shouldn't have come as a surprise because I had no idea what I was doing. I had never heard of AE before. As a reaction of this relevations I looked into a grammar book and I've started to view films in the original language. I only use subs when I don't know the language at all. I still don't know what kind of English the people speak.

Goal
At the end of the year I want to have a nice British accent and a better grasp on
grammar. If I can find the time I'll try to improve my writing skills too.

Wanderlust (non-TAC)
Wanderlust is one reason I put Turkish on my list this year. I'll try not to touch too
many languages at once and hope that one new language will suffice. But if I really
feel that I need to look into another language then I'll choose Spanish (once A2) or
Dutch (absolute Beginner).

edit: included English in the TAC and wrote a bit more about my background in this language

Edited by Othar on 05 January 2014 at 9:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 26 of 46
28 December 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
It looks like you've already got solid foundations for your Scandinavian TAC. We're more or less at the same level (you in Norwegian and I in Swedish) and it's where the fun is but also the frustration. If on the one hand we can enjoy native materials with a certain ease, on the other hand progressing in our active skills is becoming increasingly slow and hard to notice.

I'm sure that sharing the journey with our TAC teammates will ease the frustration and redouble the fun: a win-win situation, no doubt about it!

Lycka till!

1 person has voted this message useful

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5995 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 27 of 46
30 December 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Emme!
I'm very curious about how the team(s) will influence my learning and if I can be of help in some way.

Until January 5th I have a lot of time for learning and I'll try to put it to good use. I've decided to go through all of the monolingual Norwegian course books I have. This should help me with learning a bit more about the Norwegian way of life and I can see what I'm supposed to know from the Norwegian point of view.

At the moment I'm occupied with Ny i Norge. I started on Friday and today I've finished lesson 24. Tomorow I should be done with this book. As it is an A1 course I've just skimmed through the text but I still found some new words and phrases. I still have to add them to my Anki deck. The sound material was good for shadowing. I read the texts only after listening. In the first third of the book there were drills for the pronunciation of some sound and for stress in a sentence. I found them very helpful.

For christmas I got a subscription for babbel.com. For one year I can do any course for any language they support. I don't think this kind of website is a very good method to learn a language but there's nothing wrong with using it as an additional ressource. Babbel is supposed to have good grammar lessons but the support for Norwegian is new and there are not so many courses available. None of them is a special grammar course. For English and Turkish on the other hand there are lots of courses available. And for some other interesting languages - I hope I don't feel tempted to look into them.

At the moment I do one Norwegian course per day. For English I do two to three lessons per day. I will start doing one lesson per day for Turkish when I've done all courses for Norwegian.

Until today I haven't done anything else for English. But now I've found my copy of English Pronunciation in Use . Tomorrow I'll do the first lesson.

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5995 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 28 of 46
01 January 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
I still have to add some new phrases to Anki but then I'm done with Ny i Norge. The book is accompanied by an exercise book. I did some of the exercises and wrote my answers on lang-8. Looks like I knew what I was doing. Tomorrow I'll start with Stein på Stein, a book that is supposed to lead to B1.

Since I intend to work on English anyway I decided to include the language in the TAC. It took me 15 minutes to complete the first lesson of the pronunciation book.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 29 of 46
01 January 2014 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Hei Othar, så hyggelig å se noen som lærer seg norsk!

Do not be afraid to ask me if you have any Norwegian questions - we are sort of teammates, since I am an
observer at team Yürükler.

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5995 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 30 of 46
01 January 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Da har jeg allerede et spørsmall for deg. Kan du forklare hva som er forskjellen mellom blankett og skjema?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 31 of 46
01 January 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Othar wrote:
Da har jeg allerede et spørsmall for deg. Kan du forklare hva som er forskjellen mellom
blankett og skjema?

Begge er dokumenter for strukturert innhenting av informasjon. En blankett vil imidlertid som regel være et
offentlig dokument, mens et skjema kan du i prinsippet lage selv.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 32 of 46
01 January 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I believe you're going to have a lot of fun with the monolingual textbooks, Othar. I
didn't learn that much from them because I didn't study them intensively, but that was
very useful anyway. I studied up to the B2 level but I'm still at a B1 because of that,
but now I'm trying to fill in the gaps through native resources. They worked greatly as a
transition. My most difficult time was before I could use them - I had finished the basic
textbooks but my vocabulary was still limited to try monlingual textbooks in a practical
way. Fortunately you're already over this and this is a good achievement.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version