Diglot
Germany
Joined 5996 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish

Message 41 of 46
26 January 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
The discussion about the super challenge gave me the idea to keep track of how much I actually listen to podcasts and how many films I see. It would make me nervous to write everything down when I heard it. So I decided to synchronize my mp3 player just once a week and check what is marked as done before starting the process.

Norwegian
I completed Bo i Norge and started with Her på Berget. Bo i Norge was not half as useful as the other textbooks but working with it didn't hurt either.
I enjoyed the first film of Olsenbanden, listened to 5 podcasts (90 min), did ca. two hours of shadowing and my ebook reader tells me that I'm at 75% of Magellan's Kors. It also tells me that I have two hours left on this book. I didn't know it does that. That prediction is a bit hard to test though because I tend to ignore clocks.
I wrote another two texts on lang-8 and I'm still alive. Would have loved to write another one today but I didn't find the time. Maybe tomorrow.
Next week I'll see the next Olsenbanden film and maybe an episode of Det var en gang livet.

Turkish
I completed the third week of the Assimil course. Until now everything is fine. I didn't have time to write something but I am going to do this in the following week. I still don't know if I should actively learn vocabulary and grammar.

English
One of my pronunciation lessons pointed me to a problematic topic: /s/ vs. /z/. I don't have a problem pronouncing it but I didn't know that /z/ is used so often. I have some trouble hearing the difference and I have to learn when to use what. My Anki deck doubled in size.
My statistics say I listened to 6 podcasts (140 min), saw 4 episodes of Doctor Who (1h) and visited two other films. That would be good if English were my most important language, which is isn't. I think I have to listen to more Norwegian podcasts.

Edited by Othar on 26 January 2014 at 9:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5996 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 42 of 46
01 March 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
More than a month without updates... shame on me. Again. But it was a chaotic month and now I finally succumbed to the illness that hit most of my colleges in the last three weeks. Which means this weekend will be nearly lost for learning.

Norwegian
I didn't achieve much. I've finished Her på Berget and Magellan's Kors and started with my last text book, Lær mer norsk, and with Hodejegerne from Jo Nesbø. I'm not too fond of the novel at the moment so I try to concentrate on the language. At the moment I'm listening to a bit more than two hours of podcasts per week. Hopefully I can be a bit more productive in March.

Turkish
I'm still working with Assimil. Today I only shadowed the audio from week three but that's because I'm not feeling very well. Usually I do a bit more each day. As others have already mentioned, it is not possible to go through this course with 30 minutes each day. With Norwegian I didn't have this problem but the Turkish book has too much information in each lesson. I don't want to switch to another course so I just take my time with each lesson and go back to former lessons when I feel overwhelmed. That's why I'm only at lesson 28 at the moment.

English
Every day I listened to one podcast and that's it. Of course I've seen some films and several episodes of Doctor Who but that doesn't count. I also visited some lessons of a university course from Coursera. It's called "A Brief History of Humankind". It's quite interesting and I have no problems following the lessons. I can only hope that the professor's accent doesn't do too much damage to mine.

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5996 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 43 of 46
18 March 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Last week I was still ill. So I wasn't able to do as much as I'd liked to. I didn't do anything with English except listening to one or two podcasts per day. But I had an interesting experience. Once a week I see an English film at a friends. Last week the film started with someone saying "Gentlemen". After that one word we both reached for the remote because we instantly heard that we had forgotten to change the language to English. So my ability to distinguish correct English pronunciation from foreign accents seems to be at least a bit alive.

Work with the Norwegian text book was also slow because I wasn't able to study for longer periods. In contrast to the other monolingual text books I used this one has a lot of grammatical explanations and exercises which I usually do. So I'm still content with what I've managed to learn.

With Turkish I reached lesson 30. This doesn't sound like much of an achievement since I was at lesson 28 two weeks before. But I work a lot with every lesson. I write the texts down, try to write own sentences with combinations that did not appear in the book, and try to get my pronunciation as close to the speakers as possible.

So the week could have been worse but I hope this week I can be a bit more productive.

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5996 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 

Message 44 of 46
23 March 2014 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm well again and the weather is good enough for cycling. That means, I can't read my Turkish lessons on the bus. Now I listen to half an hour of Assimil while cycling to the office. Usually I read the lessons on my lunch break. If that's not possible I have to do it in the evening. Until now I haven't got any real problems with Turkish but I haven't done anything outside of Assimil yet.

Lær mer norsk is by far the best of the monolingual books I have worked with. I could have skipped some of the others and just worked with this one. But I have learned something in each of the books and haven't lost much time with the books that were too easy for me. I'm nearly half way through the book now and should be able to finish it in April.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4917 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 45 of 46
23 March 2014 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Othar wrote:
With Turkish I reached lesson 30. This doesn't sound like much of an achievement since I was at lesson 28 two weeks before. But I work a lot with every lesson. I write the texts down, try to write own sentences with combinations that did not appear in the book, and try to get my pronunciation as close to the speakers as possible.

Ah, a fellow Turkish learner :) But I've just started, you'll be much more advanced... May I ask you, where do you see the challenges for a German pronouncing Turkish?

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 46 of 46
27 December 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Hej!

We’re practically at the end of TAC’14. Would you like to drop by at our Team Asgard thead and tell us how this year went for you and your Norwegian studies? The year final report is also valid for our team’s December challenge!

I hope to hear from you soon and in the meantime I wish you

Gott nytt år!

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version