Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 21
10 September 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
The problem with all this talk about SVO, OVS etc. is that some linguists have claimed that any language has a basic word order, and that this basic word order has consequences that are so welldefined that you can postulate that they are linguistic universals.

I have found a text where I'm happily unable to read the explanations (in Hebrew) so that the claims really stand out. Let's have a look at some of them:

In declarative sentences with nominal subject and object, the dominant order is almost always one in which the subject precedes the object

In languages with prepositions, the genitive almost always follows the governing noun,
while in languages with postpositions it almost always precedes

Languages with dominant VSO order are always prepositional.

With overwhelmingly greater than chance frequency, languages with normal SOV order
are postpositional.

If a language has dominant SOV order and the genitive follows the governing noun, then
the adjective likewise follows the noun.

(and so forth)

I can't say whether all these claims (including those I didn't quote) are true or not, but I have seen articles where a language apparently had a dominant word order, but to make some 'universal' truly universal the author tried in every way possible to prove that the obvious wordorder was hiding a true deeper-level basic word order. And then things have been turned upside down. If you have to invent hidden 'true' wordorders to make some claim universal then you have left science and entered the world of dogmatism. Universals are basically statistical, even in cases where you haven't yet found a counter example.

Besides it doesn't really make sense to talk about O's and S's in ergative languages.

BTW. Klingon is OSV, and this was chosen because it is there rarest one for real human languages. Quenya is said to be SOV.

PS: the last rule in the Hebrew paper sounds as follows:
When the general rule is that the descriptive adjective follows, there may be a minority of adjectives which usually precede, but when the general rule is that descriptive adjectives precede, there are no exceptions.

My answer: "heir apparent" is an exception

Edited by Iversen on 10 September 2013 at 11:25am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 18 of 21
10 September 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
It's useless even in Spanish for example if you don't actually need to make the subject
explicit.
1 person has voted this message useful

Aquila123
Tetraglot
Norway
mydeltapi.com
Joined 5086 days ago

201 posts - 262 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Finnish, Russian

Message 19 of 21
14 September 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Languages with dominant VSO order are always prepositional.

This is perhaps the surest of these rules, even though some of these languages have case inflection based on endings, like classical Arabic, and some case inflections based on prefixes.

yenome
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5154 days ago

37 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, French, Persian
Studies: Thai, Arabic (Iraqi), Mandarin

Message 20 of 21
19 September 2013 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

PS: the last rule in the Hebrew paper sounds as follows:
When the general rule is that the descriptive adjective follows, there may be a minority of adjectives which usually precede, but when the general rule is that descriptive adjectives precede, there are no exceptions.

My answer: "heir apparent" is an exception

"Heir apparent" began its life as a borrowing from French, though. I don't think it disproves the rule anymore than the phrases "lingua franca" or "femme fatale" do. If you are not using a legal term but just speaking of who appears to be the heir, any English speaker would say "the apparent heir."
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 21
20 September 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
It is still an exception, but as is the case with most exceptions there is a good reason for this one to be one.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version