Triglot
Canada
Joined 4253 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 17 of 17
09 September 2013 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
Google translate does a good job with some languages that are close-together like Spanish, Italian,
French and Portuguese. But for English & Chinese you are comparing apple to oranges. Many of the
sentences are grammatically correct, but depending on what you are writing about the context can be
completely off.

I recently translated 8 pages of online content from English to Chinese. Got about 60% done using
Google Translate. However, there are some terms that are technical that I needed to check with
Wikipedia and other sources for an "official" Chinese term than just inventing a new term based on the
meaning. In some places I left the original English phrases but put in brackets the translated Chinese
equivalent to make sure there are no misunderstandings. If I left the entire document the way Google
translated it, the reader would not be able to understand what the text was about. On the other hand,
not using Google Translate I would have to spend a few extra hours entering the text a few characters at
a time. For Chinese there is no efficient input method like the QWERTY English keyboard.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version