Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4761 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 10
08 September 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I want to get a hand on Petit Robert and Duden Explanatory. I finally feel confident enough to transition to only French-French / German-German, as I now find myself more than half the time (maybe 3/4), just reading Wiktionary entries in the target language.

I love words and etymology so I think I would trully enjoy the software from both, I just wonder if anyone here has opinions on them before I make a decision. Or even if just the hard copies are good enough (call me romantic but using a book dictionary is one of the pleasures of language learning too!)
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5265 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 10
08 September 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Software dictionaries have many benefits, but you have no guarantee that they will run on new operating systems
and hardware in the future. A paper dictionary will still be useable 100 years from now.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4283 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 3 of 10
09 September 2013 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
Or even if just the hard copies are good enough (call me romantic but using a book dictionary is one of the pleasures of language learning too!)

I don't see why the hard copy would not be good enough. It certainly was good enough for millions of people before software were developed. If you enjoy them, go for it.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 10
09 September 2013 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
I love dictionaries, and used have used the Oxford 2-volume English dictionary a lot when I was writing.

For German I have:

1. Langenscheidt's Großwörterbuch: Deutsch als Fremdsprache monolingunal dictionary (paperback).
2. The Oxford German-English Dictionary (hardback).
3. Collins German dictionary (on the Kindle).
4. Duden German dictionary (comes for free with Kindle).

I love the layout of the mononligual dictionary, and the Oxford is very nice, but I hardly ever use either. For reading the Kindle is all I need, it certainly doesn't have all the words, but neither do all the other's, and it has the advantage that it's always there.

I suspect the Duden will be very useful at some point, but not until I am at least C1.

Edited by patrickwilken on 09 September 2013 at 11:04am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 10
09 September 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Handheld electronic dictionaries are certainly worth a look -- you get multiple bilingual and unilingual dictionaries in an easy to carry format. They also allow for searches and cross-referencing that paper dictionaries don't allow, and you can still flip through them randomly if you want to.

Some will say that it's cheaper to put a few apps on your iPod/iPhone (or other smartphone), but I still think the dedicated devices do an excellent job. This summer, I almost bought a Casio model for German (I have one for Japanese, which I just adore), and instead went for a cheaper Pons app, but I still think I would have enjoyed that handheld device and used it all the time.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 10
09 September 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Depends on what do you want to use the dictionary for.

Want to find the info fast? Get the digital one. There are even good monolingual ones, or thesauri etc. Some are even for free.

Want to let the word lead you to another that is conveniently just bellow (or on the page you accidentally opened your book at)? Get the paper.

You will get the digital one "for free" when you buy the paper one (I noticed a Larousse doing that) by the way.

Want to carry the dictionary anywhere you go? Get a digital one for any kind of gadget you take with you (smartphone, laptop, tablet).

Want to try the three dictionaries technique or do you want to widen yur vocabulary based on a dictionary? Get a huge, comprehensive beast printed on paper.

I use both digital and paper dictionaries and I like them both. Depends on my mood.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4480 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 7 of 10
09 September 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Paper dictionaries are great to learn new words (from) just by reading the dictionary.
75% of paper dictionaries nowadays include a CD for people to use it on their pC.

Android/iphone dictionaries are nice, but not necessarily cheaper.

For Chinese/Japanese, phone dictionaries are great since it can be a pain
to look up words in ZH-EN or JA-EN directions.

Edited by Medulin on 09 September 2013 at 9:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 10
09 September 2013 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Paper dictionaries are great to learn new words (from) just by reading the dictionary.

Surely you aren't implying that electronic dictionaries, what with all their linking and cross-referencing features, somehow impede adventurous browsing?

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version