Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6219 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 17 of 20
22 September 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I generally just sit down with a book, and finish it the same day or the next, unless it's the kind of heavy technical book that university classes use part of during a semester or year. With those, I often have several going at once, or simply dip into them occasionally.

It's more a matter of individual preference than anything else, really.
1 person has voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4339 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 18 of 20
22 September 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I generally just sit down with a book, and finish it the same day or the next, ...

Argh, how I envy people who can do that. I don't think I've ever managed to read a book from start to finish in one day. I seem to always hit a wall near the 200 page mark, whether it's my neck killing me or just mental exhaustion. I guess it would help if I read a bit faster and picked shorter books. :-/

EDIT:
Personally, I'm always reading two or three books simultaneously. Beyond that, I have a bad habit of starting new books and reading the first 50 or so pages only to set them aside until I've finished the books I'm actually reading.

What's important to me is that I maintain a decent momentum in all the books I'm reading. In some cases, one 10-page chapter per day is enough to keep the story "alive" in the back of my head, whereas other books can require as much as 40-50 pages per day to not go stale. I've hardly ever abandoned a book entirely, but I have many times set one aside for several years before returning to it.

I've recently been really good about finishing books and not starting new ones, and have managed to shrink my 'Currently reading' list down to ten titles. It's hard to overstate how proud of this achievement I am. There was a time when I had small hopes of ever getting to the bottom of the pile, but now it feels like it's only a matter of time before that happens. ;-)

Edited by sans-serif on 22 September 2013 at 2:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 19 of 20
22 September 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Robinson Crusoe escaped from Shawshank before the white rabbit can deliver his message, so they burned his eyes. However this was not enough to stop him and he kept playing alongside the river with his old friend, Romeo who was in love with the princess who used to say : if you know more when I don't talk why do you want me to say anything ? Because you are cutting your eggs on the wrong side. Since I often watch tv in stead of reading at this point Captain Picard reach Atlantis with the Enterprise and O'Brien who in reality is a Geni. They all dress up for the marriage of Heidi with Tom Sawyer. Unfortunately Heidi father did not come because of his job - he is the leader of the Israeli secret services and also have a son who is an islamist activist who just died from his own bomb in a 1984 style farm with speaking animals on a planet named from a sport that only citizens from the Commonwealth are able to understand, follow and love.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 20
23 September 2013 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
Volte wrote:
I generally just sit down with a book, and finish it the same day or the next, ...

Argh, how I envy people who can do that. I don't think I've ever managed to read a book from start to finish in one day.

I did a few times. But people around me weren't thrilled about me being totally unavailable for most of the day. And the next morning tends to be hard when I finish reading a longer book at 4am.

Sometimes it feels like "just ten pages" is the same kind of lie as "just one beer".

Edited by Cavesa on 23 September 2013 at 12:28pm

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version