Joined 4549 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 9 of 11
10 September 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
Helpful advice so far, thanks!

Quote:
If you want to read aloud a book yourself and you've never done it, you'll probably fail.

I figure the same thing, which is one of the reasons I'm tempted to start with something that is short or can be divided up into smaller parts. I've done some voiceover work before, but we're talking half an hour of total recorded speaking per project max, not hours like a book. And of course I'm not Garrison Keillor, but I figure if I sounded too unlistenably bad I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get paid to talk.

Quote:
As a reader, you structure the text for your audience. You are all the commas, fullstops, question marks, italics. That doesn't mean that you have to exaggerate or act different voices, but you need to pay attention not only to reading the words, but also to delivering them at a pace which can be understood.

Very true, and this can be difficult, especially because different listeners want different things. Not that long ago, my wife and I were both listening to Game of Thrones audiobooks in Spanish (separately), and I got really frustrated by the narrator of the second book's intonation and that I couldn't tell which character was speaking by his voice, but my wife thought he was much better than the first book.

Quote:
Pay attention to speed. I've heard some amateur readers who sound like they're trying to finish as fast as possible and it's impossible to follow. But then I heard another one that was ... so ... slow, ... that ......... I .... simply
......couldn't .... stand .... waiting for the next word all day long, which was worse.

That's me listening to the Assimil Ancient Greek course. Ok. Time for the next word. Come on, now. I'm ready...

As far as the mic, I have Shure SM58, which is better for live events than recording I think, but I figure it'll sound good enough.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5564 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
10 September 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
I'd say, pick a style you find easy to listen to yourself, and be as consistent as possible.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 11 of 11
10 September 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
One of the features of Librivox is that potentially, each chapter can be read by a
different person. Because of the complications of arranging this online, and at a
distance, and that it's all done by volunteer effort, the choice of people for chapters
is somewhat haphazard.

But anyway, the variety of readers can be an advantage over a commercial recording,
where normally it's only one voice (although I do have some where there are two
voices).

I think Librivox does a splendid job on the whole, and I certainly wouldn't want to
discourage anyone from giving their output a try (and I almost certainly will again
myself for some things). Given that the resulting "product" is free, no one has a right
to complain, but there again, everyone has a right to choose to use them, or not.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version