Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 56
12 September 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
I think there is a huge difference between extensive reading being your only form of study and being one of your main forms of studying.

Of course you won't get other skills if you practice just one. And I know a lot of people with your trouble, blabla. But if you do other things in the language as well, than you will find extensive reading to be a great asset in my opinion.
3 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5005 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 56
12 September 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Personally I've met far too many people who've read a lot in their target language, including famous literature, but still make many basic mistakes when speaking for me to believe that extensive reading should be the priority. Or maybe it's indeed just inefficient and these people need to read a few hundred more books. I do think that reading is very useful as a compliment to other study, both for learning/revising vocabulary and for getting used to the language, and I've been trying to do it more myself recently. But I prefer to focus on more efficient and intensive activities like speaking, watching films, and "traditional" studying, and leave the reading for when I have time to spare after these, am in situations where they're not practical, or am too tired for them.

Edited by garyb on 12 September 2013 at 11:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3927 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 19 of 56
12 September 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I think there is a huge difference between extensive reading being your only
form of study and being one of your main forms of studying.

Of course you won't get other skills if you practice just one. And I know a lot of people
with your trouble, blabla. But if you do other things in the language as well, than you will
find extensive reading to be a great asset in my opinion.

Of course, Caveza, but in my case it's not that much of a problem or trouble since I have a
clear picture of my priorities and goals, a little obsession with efficiency (nothing too
neurotic) and usually focus on those areas that need the most attention. Another aspect I
have mentioned before (and probably never get tired of mentioning, the job again, lol) is
that I can 'read', 'listen' and even 'shadow' --- moreless passive consumption in the worst
case --- almost asleep while actively creating something from scratch forces me to stay awake
and fully focused - for many hours if need be. These days I create far more than I consume -
on the macro level that is - and enjoy it immensely.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 20 of 56
12 September 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Personally I've met far too many people who've read a lot in their
target language, including famous literature, but still make many basic mistakes when
speaking for me to believe that extensive reading should be the priority. Or maybe it's
indeed just inefficient and these people need to read a few hundred more books. I do
think that reading is very useful as a compliment to other study, both for
learning/revising vocabulary and for getting used to the language, and I've been trying
to do it more myself recently. But I prefer to focus on more efficient and intensive
activities like speaking, watching films, and "traditional" studying, and leave the
reading for when I have time to spare after these, am in situations where they're not
practical, or am too tired for them.

I'm personally probably one of those people and that's why I've decided to try to focus
more on speaking in future. I won't stop reading, or listening to audiobooks/podcasts,
but I can all-too-easily fall into a fairly passive stupor. It depends what you want,
of course: If you are only interested in reading literature, then reading it is the
most efficient thing you can do.

The only specific I might differ from you is that I don't find watching films
particularly efficient.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4331 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 21 of 56
12 September 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
BlaBla wrote:
I've been learning English for around 40 years; around 85 percent of my 3500+ books are in
that language and I'd rate my reading skills somewhere close to C2. How much has it helped
with my speaking or writing ? Certainly not too much.

I find that statement a little surprising.

You have read about 2975 books in English, which if we assume are on average 250 pages long and have about 250 words per page, means you've read about 1.8 BILLION words in English. Or to put it another way you've been reading a book and a half PER WEEK for 40 YEARS and yet you think this didn't help your writing or speaking much at all.

Could you elaborate? What's your evidence that such a prolonged and extensive reading program didn't help you a great deal?

I've read less than a thousandth of what you've read in my TL and found it helped by speaking skills enormously.

Edited by patrickwilken on 12 September 2013 at 3:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4357 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 22 of 56
12 September 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
garyb wrote:
Personally I've met far too many people who've read a lot in their target language, including famous literature, but still make many basic mistakes when speaking for me to believe that extensive reading should be the priority. Or maybe it's indeed just inefficient and these people need to read a few hundred more books. I do think that reading is very useful as a compliment to other study, both for learning/revising vocabulary and for getting used to the language, and I've been trying to do it more myself recently. But I prefer to focus on more efficient and intensive activities like speaking, watching films, and "traditional" studying, and leave the reading for when I have time to spare after these, am in situations where they're not practical, or am too tired for them.

I'm personally probably one of those people and that's why I've decided to try to focus more on speaking in future. I won't stop reading, or listening to audiobooks/podcasts, but I can all-too-easily fall into a fairly passive stupor. It depends what you want, of course: If you are only interested in reading literature, then reading it is the most efficient thing you can do.

The only specific I might differ from you is that I don't find watching films
particularly efficient.

I'm also very much an "input guy" and recognize many of the same symptoms in myself. I think extensive reading after a certain point becomes chiefly a vocabulary accumulation and maintenance activity, and most of the things you learn before that point of diminishing returns can probably be learned through conversation just as well—better in some ways, in fact, as producing correct output certainly requires everything to be more deeply internalized: grammar, patterns, vocabulary, and so on.

As for its efficacy in improving speaking, in my experience good passive skills can accelerate the development of active skills, without actually contributing much towards them. For example, my spoken Swedish is probably pretty good for someone with around 30 hours (and I'm guessing here, I haven't kept any logs) of conversation practice, but you can only get so far in such a short time. Real fluency would obviously take a considerably greater amount of consistent practice.

I suppose garyb meant that for input, he chooses to focus on films, as they arguably offer the biggest boost to his conversational abilities. Input, as a rule, doesn't count as intensive in my book.

EDIT:
I also meant to comment on the observation that many people, despite having read a lot, still make elementary mistakes. This is something we've touched on in the thread Why grammar does not help (some of us), or closely related at least. Many posters, myself included, have reported that despite careful grammar study beforehand, they learn to speak by making mistakes and being corrected. It's very similar here, I think: input can do a world of good to a language learner but ultimately you get better at output by practicing output.

Edited by sans-serif on 12 September 2013 at 6:32pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4486 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 23 of 56
12 September 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
For a dozen years I tried and failed to learn many languages to any usable level. After several months of
extensive reading of familiar texts, I had gained appreciable skills in French, Dutch, and Italian, such skills
being directly proportional to the amount of reading done. After 1.5 years, I can read books and listen to radio
or watch tv with reasonable comfort in two of these three. It was the magic bullet for me with Germanic and
Romance languages.

Now, predictably, my active skills lag far behind...but that's a lot better than having no skills of any sort, right?
5 persons have voted this message useful

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3927 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 24 of 56
12 September 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
BlaBla wrote:
I've been learning English for around 40 years; around
85 percent of my 3500+ books are in
that language and I'd rate my reading skills somewhere close to C2. How much has it helped
with my speaking or writing ? Certainly not too much.

I find that statement a little surprising.

You have read about 2975 books in English, which if we assume are on average 250 pages long
and have about 250 words per page, means you've read about 1.8 BILLION words in English. Or
to put it another way you've been reading a book and a half PER WEEK for 40 YEARS and yet you
think this didn't help your writing or speaking much at all.

Could you elaborate? What's your evidence that such a prolonged and extensive reading program
didn't help you a great deal?

I've read less than a thousandth of what you've read in my TL and found it helped by speaking
skills enormously.

Well, thanks for letting me set that straight, Patrick. Most of them are scientific books and
I certainly haven't read through them all, lol, but I sure read an awful lot. I mainly wanted
to make a point that all the reading didn't help me as much with my active skills as maybe
someone would expect. It simply doesn't work that way for me. I'd rate my current
writing/speaking skills in English at around B2 and after 40 years of almost daily exposure
that's downright miserable, almost pathetic but then I haven't lived in an English speaking
country in a while and for me that would be the real deal. Back in California where I used to
live I was closer to C1 or even C2 in some areas but that's some years ago and I simply don't
have that many opportunities to train these days. On the other hand I'd be back on the C
track in no time if I had more contact with native speakers but at the moment it's all
locals, mostly Bavarians on top of that, alas ;)

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version