Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 4049 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 1 of 14
09 September 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
I have been studying German for almost 4 years now. In one year from now I'll reach
fluency B2/C1.

Later this year our school organises a trip to Aurich for an oral exam. I know that
Ostfriesisch is spoken there and because I have Frisian roots I would love to have a
little bit of a Ostfriesisch accent in German.

Does anyone know how I can make my German sound a bit Ostfriesisch? Like pronouncing a
few letters or letter combinations a certain way that makes it sound like I'm from
OstFriesland?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 14
09 September 2013 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
That'll give you an accent but you would have to do an in-depth study of the phonology of
East Frisian. And use East Frisian words.

ByzantineDragon
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 4049 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 3 of 14
09 September 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
And use East Frisian words.

I just want to speak German with traces of an East Frisian accent. The thing is, I can't
find East Frisian phonology anywhere.

That's why I was actually hoping a German speakers comes along this post and knows a bit
of East Frisian phonology. I'll post a second post in the German part of the site another
time if this isn't answered.

Edited by ByzantineDragon on 09 September 2013 at 11:10pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 4 of 14
09 September 2013 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
East Frisians simply speak Standard German like all other North Germans. If you wanted a "local touch", you would have to learn East Frisian Platt, which is only spoken by older people. The traditional East Frisian language (which was a language of its own and not a dialect!), however, is almost completely extinct.

Anyway, generally speaking chances are good that people wouldn't take you seriously if you tried to speak with a Low German accent. I for one wouldn't, especially if you also had a Dutch accent.

EDIT: There's one thing you can do. Greet everybody with "Moin!" instead of "Hallo" or "Guten Tag". That's a typical East Frisian greeting.

Edited by Josquin on 10 September 2013 at 12:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 14
10 September 2013 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Yeah East Frisian is related to our Frisian which is still spoken.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6509 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 14
10 September 2013 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
If you want to listen to some East Frisian then there are a few clips on Youtube (like this one, but East Frisian is nowadays only spoken by a few hundred persons - you could just as well study Gothic or Quenya. Even Low German (Platt) has become rare, although in principle you should still be able to hear it spoken by elderly people in the countryside, else you have to listen to Youtube clips or visit the Ohnsorg Theatre in Hamburg. This elderly gentleman claims that Ostfrisisch once was a world language and shall be so again - the meek shall inherit the Earth - but he tells us this in a quite moderate version of Plattdüütsch, not in Frisian. And that's symptomatic - when even such an enthousiast can't speak Frisian himself, then the language is doomed. Platt is also hard to come at, but at least you can find some clips on Youtube, and there is a Wikipedia plus some small dictionaries for sale. To hear some Platt, try listening to this rustic tale with Ina Müller . Warning: I have read her books in Low German with great pleasure - but her TV programs in High German on NDR are simply unbearable, and her singing is even worse!     

I agree with Josquin that it wouldn't serve any purpose just to add a touch of Low German to your normal Standard High German. Either you learn it properly or the locals might see it as patronizing if you try to imitate their presumed dialect - especially if they themselves think they speak pure High German.

Edited by Iversen on 10 September 2013 at 2:23pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 7 of 14
10 September 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
If you want to listen to some East Frisian then there are a few clips on Youtube (like this one

The girl in this clip is speaking North Frisian as spoken in Schleswig-Holstein, not East Frisian.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6509 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 14
10 September 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Oops.

I have tried to locate similar clips in pure Saterfriesisch, but without much succes. Inthis clip a lady reads something aloud in Saterfriesisch, but most of the clip is spent on German speech. In this clip I had expected to hear pure Oostfrais, but the old man speaks Platt and only the 'upper subtitle' (across the screen) is in Frisian. And the same applies to this clip called "Friesisch für Kinder". Frisian? if that's Frisian then I have got a new language for free. Here is a two-part video with Marie Tångeberg in Northern Frisian (with subtitles in German). But Saterfriesisch? Neh..

By the way, I have listened to more Platt (and and fragments of Frisian) the last couple of days than the rest of this month thanks to this thread. And that includes fragments of this multilingual Dialekt-Atlas in two parts, a three-part series about a certain Mommsen and as a special gem a whole 1 hour 43 minutes of "Talk op Platt" from 1993 - the talkshow that taught me to understand this noble old language!

Let's face it: the only place where Frisian still is spoken on a regular basis is in the Northern part of the Netherlands. In Germany both Eastern and Northern Vryjs are stone dead, and Platt is lying in its deaththroes across their graves.

Edited by Iversen on 10 September 2013 at 3:45pm

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version