Groupie
United States
Joined 4015 days ago

64 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 19
10 September 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
So I have a question. I'm not sure if someone has brought it up here, but hey.

So I have a really nice sized passive vocabulary in Spanish. I can understand just at least the jist of pretty much anything I read, but I can't say anything beyond greetings. I must have around 20 words in my active vocabulary. I feel like it would take a really long time for "words that I understand" to become "words I can use." Is there a way to speed up the process?
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3955 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 19
10 September 2013 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
My number one recommendation: talk to people! The best way to build your active vocabulary is to actually use it.
Writing in your target language also helps - although it's very easy to use dictionaries as a crutch when writing. Try
to free-write without double-checking every word. It helps if you can develop the skill of "talking around" a word
that you don't know - for instance, "cage" could become "casa para los animales en el zoológico".

I also build my active vocabulary with anki. Instead of studying from Spanish to English (which would help build
passive vocabulary), I study from English to Spanish. I say the Spanish word out loud, then check my answer and say
it again. While a lot of my anki vocab comes from input (novels, articles, etc), a lot of it also comes from output.
When I find myself searching for a word in conversation, or looking up a word when writing an email, I add it to my
anki deck.

Edited by Stelle on 10 September 2013 at 2:12am

10 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4500 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 3 of 19
10 September 2013 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
My number one recommendation: talk to people! The best way to build your active vocabulary is to actually use it.
Writing in your target language also helps - although it's very easy to use dictionaries as a crutch when writing. Try
to free-write without double-checking every word. It helps if you can develop the skill of "talking around" a word
that you don't know - for instance, "cage" could become "casa para los animales en el zoológico".

Yes, yes yes. To move words from passive to active, you need to use them and use them often. Talk to people as much as you can. If you don't have access to many native speakers, use self-talk. A great way to start this is the concept of "islands" which are pre-formulated chunks of conversation that you learn so well that you can recite them without really thinking about it. Stuff like introducing yourself, your hobbies, how your day is, your favorite book(s), etc.

Stelle wrote:
I also build my active vocabulary with anki. Instead of studying from Spanish to English (which would help build
passive vocabulary), I study from English to Spanish.

This as well. I always use ANKI from L1 to TL. This helps me think in terms of active vs passive.

How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately by Boris Shekhtman is a great book for improving your active vocabulary. It goes in depth into the "islands" concept as well as many other great tools. I recommend it to anyone and everyone I can.

In summary, talk, talk, talk. Even if it is to yourself. Use it or lose it.

4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7016 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 4 of 19
10 September 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
JiEunNinja wrote:
So I have a really nice sized passive vocabulary in Spanish. I can understand just at least the jist of pretty much anything I read, but I can't say anything beyond greetings. I must have around 20 words in my active vocabulary. I feel like it would take a really long time for "words that I understand" to become "words I can use." Is there a way to speed up the process?

How did you get to where you are?

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3940 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 5 of 19
10 September 2013 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
While I can zip through my SRS collections, read, listen to or even shadow anything half
asleep, no matter if L1>L2 or vice versa; creative, free talking and writing forces me to
wake up !
. I've started to create (=active) my own little bilingual Assimils some years
ago - mainly imaginary dialogues!, reports or essays of all sorts. I print them on A6 sheets
(2 columns, 32 lines per side) that I keep in compact Moleskin style binders. Then I do my
own mp3 recordings of the L2 parts, sometimes with a little help from some friends and start
shadowing the stuff, mostly L1>L2 toward an imaginary partner or audience until it's
assimilated AND activated beyond doubt and there's no more need for the L1 part. To me this
works much more efficiently than anything else I've tried - I just keep creating those little
texts and mp3s; one after another.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Theycalme_Jane
Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3936 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 6 of 19
10 September 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
I agree with everyone else ...talking to people is great. And in addition to that...I'd like to add: record yourself. I make videos of myself for a blog. The blog's about challenging myself to become fluent in Afrikaans within a year, so I got to produce results. For that, I make videos twice a week - currently thinking about doing it even more frequently. I sing. I listen to podcasts and videos and repeat after the speakers. All that helps a little. I only get to talk to people on chats, so it's not the same as talking to people in real life. I still have a bit of delay to look words up. So the videos are basically all I've got at the moment and it's definitely getting me to become better. I've only been doing it for a month, but my native speaking followers have been remarkably supportive and keep telling me I make great progress, so I suppose to a certain degree it works.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3955 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 7 of 19
10 September 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
Theycalme_Jane wrote:
I agree with everyone else ...talking to people is great. And in addition to that...I'd like
to add: record yourself. I make videos of myself for a blog. The blog's about challenging myself to become fluent
in Afrikaans within a year, so I got to produce results. For that, I make videos twice a week - currently thinking
about doing it even more frequently. I sing. I listen to podcasts and videos and repeat after the speakers. All that
helps a little. I only get to talk to people on chats, so it's not the same as talking to people in real life. I still have
a bit of delay to look words up. So the videos are basically all I've got at the moment and it's definitely getting me
to become better. I've only been doing it for a month, but my native speaking followers have been remarkably
supportive and keep telling me I make great progress, so I suppose to a certain degree it works.

Your blog's really interesting! Good luck learning Afrikaans!

I think that recording yourself speaking is actually a really good idea. It's not going to be the same as Skyping a
native speaker, but at least you'll get used to saying the words out loud. I also record myself reading aloud on a
regular basis. Again - doesn't really help with active vocabulary, since I don't have to pull the words out of my
head. But it helps with pronunciation and with actually forming the words out loud.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5039 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 8 of 19
10 September 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Actual speaking the language is the best means. I also use Anki extensively and find this to greatly amplify my active vocabulary (be sure to make both cards and their reverse).

Also, after you've defeated your enemies, be sure to consume their brains. This will allow you to acquire all the words in their active vocab.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version