11 messages over 2 pages: 1
Racer X
United States
Joined 3908 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Portuguese

Message 9 of 11
13 September 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone for the honest replies. I am starting to see that I may benefit from some sort of hybrid of ALG-ish program given the realities of schedule, work, etc. Using this customized ALG type of approach and then mixing in some L-R before moving on to other approaches might serve me well. Thanks for the feedback, I am still deliberating but your feedback is really helpful- all of it. Keep it coming. Much appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

Racer X
United States
Joined 3908 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Portuguese

Message 11 of 11
16 September 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged 

Thanks for this information. The Aya's L_R method link provides me and anyone unfamiliar (and probably familiar as well)with a rich source of information on what looks like an extremely effective way to learn a language-albeit and intensive way. I will be looking into this further and more than likely, trying it on for size or some variation of it. Thanks a lot for your post and the information contained in it. Very helpful and really eye-opening for me.

erenko wrote:
I have firsthand experience with both TPR (known to me as ‘odpowiedź całym ciałem’ – Total Body Response) and aYa’s LR (L-R, mLR) 'LISTENING-Reading'.
Niania (Nanny) taught me English through TBR when I was a child, we started when I was five. She probably taught me that way because I actively refused to speak English, I didn’t even want to repeat after her. She bribed/coaxed me into learning anything – the deal was learning something (English, maths, geography and so on) and then playing tennis. The ‘lessons’ were one-to-one, but nothing was formal, it was one mix, everything at once.
She taught me, for instance, ‘black, red, yellow’, then ‘a circle, a triangle, a square’ then ‘China, Russia, Japan’ – she explained the meaning in Polish and then pointed, I pointed with her. She taught me verbs like this: ‘jump, write, read, stop, throw’ then ‘don’t jump, run, don’t stop, go on running’. She jumped and I jumped and so on. ‘A red circle goes to Japan’ and I would take a red circle and put it on Japan in the map. She even taught me minimal pairs: hat – head – hurt – hut – heart and so on. She drew funny pictures. After a while we started reading (and then listening to recordings too), that is she read and explained the meaning in Polish and I only listened and looked. She taught me grammar like this: ‘I, you, she, he, we’, ‘I like, she likes, I don’t like, she doesn’t like’, ‘yesterday, today, tomorrow’, ‘Ann was in Japan yesterday, she is in China today, she will be in Russia tomorrow.’ It was slow but effective, mainly because I liked her very much and she liked me, and she didn’t pretend she knew better. We had our ‘lessons’ every day (except weekends).

As to aYa’s LR (L-R, mLR) 'LISTENING-Reading' – I started in July after Serpent, the LR (Lovely Russian) girl, linked to the wikia’s article she edited. I then read aYa’s notes in English and Polish. The Polish notes are more important and more detailed. I did LR or mLR (multilingual LR) in French, Russian and English in earnest, and tentatively in Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, and Croatian – just to find out how it would work and what it is necessary to do LR successfully.
First of all you need flow, I had no trouble with that, you must do it intensively as well, I had not trouble with that, either. I LRed or mLRed a few books, the most difficult and the most enjoyable was A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell – I did it in Russian and English – I’d have done it in French too, but no luck, couldn’t find anything.
The fastest way seems to be to LR the same books in the languages you want to learn.

So, you cannot compare the two approaches at all. One is slow and you need a good teacher, the other is fast and enjoyable, but you need to do it yourself and must be ready and willing to do it intensively in a relatively short period of time. You need good professional recordings and bilingual or multilingual parallel texts – and getting them can be a problem for some languages. But I think that if you’re not too choosy, you can usually find enough materials.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version