Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Racer X
United States
Joined 3928 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 8
10 September 2013 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of any sites/programs where I can go to listen to audio dialogues of native speakers in a target language? I really need to improve my audio comprehension. Maybe this just doesn't exist but are there sites in which one can listen to dialogues by native speakers in the target language-one that has beginner, intermediate and advanced dialogues that one can listen to over and over? Hope this was specific enough for your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Racer X on 11 September 2013 at 4:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5081 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 8
10 September 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum. Your profile says that you are a beginner. Check out the beginner resources at Universtiy of Texas Austin Brazilpod to start. If you are ready for more advanced material, let me know.

In future, the more specific (avoiding the general) you can be as to your inquiry- you'll get more responses that may be useful to you. How are you learning Portuguese and what course, or resources are you using?

Theycalme_Jane
Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3944 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 8
10 September 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Racer X wrote:
Does anyone know of any sites/programs where I can go to listen to audio dialogues of native speakers in a target language? I really need to improve my audio comprehension. Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome,

I would suggest the languagepod101 sites (I tried Japanesepod101 and Chinesepod). I used to download their podcasts for trial versions. The dialogs are usually embedded in lessons containing the relevant words, but they also have dialogs that are completely separate from the lessons and mp3s just with the vocabulary.

I enjoyed learning with those. Depends on what language you want to learn though. I currently learn Afrikaans and the languagepod series doesn't exist for that, as far as I know. But for the big languages, English, French, Spanish, German, Arabic, etc. and the above mentioned, they definitely do.

Edited by Theycalme_Jane on 10 September 2013 at 3:27pm

Racer X
United States
Joined 3928 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes

Message 4 of 8
11 September 2013 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Your profile says that you are a beginner. Check out the beginner resources at Universtiy of Texas Austin Brazilpod to start. If you are ready for more advanced material, let me know.

In future, the more specific (avoiding the general) you can be as to your inquiry- you'll get more responses that may be useful to you. How are you learning Portuguese and what course, or resources are you using?

hey man, really appreciate the heads up on how to make my posts more effective. Please disregard my rookie mistakes on here so far, redundant threads and overly generalized questions. Your advice is duly noted. Good look. What other materials (intermediate-advanced) are you aware of? I will look at this Univ of Texas link immediately. Thanks a lot!

Racer X
United States
Joined 3928 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes

Message 5 of 8
11 September 2013 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:

Thanks a lot for the resource, advice and also the feedback as to how to be more effective with my posts (excuse my rookie mistakes). Good feedback from a senior member to a newbie like myself.

I am learning Portuguese with Pimsleur right now. I also have FSI programmatic course for Brazilian Portuguese. What programs do you recommend and also, where would I go once I am at the intermediate/advanced level? Assimil?

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5081 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 8
11 September 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I already spoke Spanish when I learned, Portuguese and jumped into DLI Portuguese Basic Course which I found excellent despite its age. It has everything- a good balance between drills, dialogs, vocabulary, readings and comprehension questions- all for free. I also read, listened, spoke with language exchange partners and hired a private online tutor who spoke no English.

I used Pimsleur in the beginning for help with automaticity and pronunciation. I also used the resources located here: Portuguese Audio with texts, look for my post.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Racer X
United States
Joined 3928 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes

Message 7 of 8
12 September 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Hey thanks a lot for the information on these sites. I will look into it pronto. Much appreciated.

Theycalme_Jane wrote:
Racer X wrote:
Does anyone know of any sites/programs where I can go to listen to audio dialogues of native speakers in a target language? I really need to improve my audio comprehension. Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome,

I would suggest the languagepod101 sites (I tried Japanesepod101 and Chinesepod). I used to download their podcasts for trial versions. The dialogs are usually embedded in lessons containing the relevant words, but they also have dialogs that are completely separate from the lessons and mp3s just with the vocabulary.

I enjoyed learning with those. Depends on what language you want to learn though. I currently learn Afrikaans and the languagepod series doesn't exist for that, as far as I know. But for the big languages, English, French, Spanish, German, Arabic, etc. and the above mentioned, they definitely do.

Racer X
United States
Joined 3928 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes

Message 8 of 8
12 September 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
All I can say is Nossa!! WOW. Obrigado, o meu irmao. Great info and lots of it. I will pore through this DLI site and resources. I just looked at it and there are 60 lessons with PDF books in just one of the sections. WOW. Thanks for sharing. I know where to go for info.

iguanamon wrote:
I already spoke Spanish when I learned, Portuguese and jumped into DLI Portuguese Basic Course which I found excellent despite its age. It has everything- a good balance between drills, dialogs, vocabulary, readings and comprehension questions- all for free. I also read, listened, spoke with language exchange partners and hired a private online tutor who spoke no English.

I used Pimsleur in the beginning for help with automaticity and pronunciation. I also used the resources located here: Portuguese Audio with texts, look for my post.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version