Triglot
United States
Joined 6469 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 25 of 29
13 September 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
A class "works" for me if I can get the sort of feedback that I can't get studying on my own. Classes have been very helpful for me when I've had someone correct mistakes--particularly spoken mistakes--that I wouldn't have caught on my own.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 26 of 29
14 September 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Yes, classes are not charity, they are a business where a lot of money is being paid for laughable results. Most language schools earn more by praying on stupid,ignorant people who are shy to demand results and lazy to correct teachers' mistakes than by providing good quality education. That is the trouble.

I also believe that students who are lazy and slow down the class should pay more than the better students. They are not throwing away only their money and results, they are damaging other people. And some people only respond to financial motivation.

Sure, you can learn something from a class. But after I found out I absorbed more mistakes than value in the class lead by a native, I was quite disappointed.

I really liked the I'm With Stupid's post. I think that is the way. Homework as further pointers for people to get better, not a way to waste fifteen minutes on correction of exercises (which happens in high schools) or to do a babysitter.

I didn't suggest the class should be centered around difficulties of individual learners, that is a misinterpretation.
I just believe the grammar part of the curriculum should be as much home based as possible and the in-class-grammar-time should be based on catching the bugs, both shared and individual (and I belive most of the individual bugs are actually trouble for more than one person in the class). I just dislike the usual approach where whole class wastes time on grammar exercises, than on the correction and than there are the questions. In 99% of the classes, a few others and me were wasting time because the grammar either wasn't difficult for us or we had enough brains to look at it on our own as well. And those who were wasting our time were just lazy to understand "ah, I have a trouble with this, I should look at it at home and find good questions instead of making the teacher reexplain everything and hold hands of the whole class during another sheet of fill in the gaps exercises". And the wasted time could have been spent on speaking instead.
6 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 27 of 29
26 November 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
showtime17 wrote:
The best classes to find are the ones taught by a native speaker and completely in the target language

I agree. I had a native speaker in middle school (grade 8) Spanish and she did the whole class in Spanish. It was fun realizing how much of communication is not only non-verbal, but also how much can be understood by paying attention. There really is a great deal of variety in a course like that.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4254 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 28 of 29
27 November 2013 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
In my opinion learning languages require a lot more of your own effort to be successful than the classroom can
provide. Back in my high school days took French for a few years. Out of a class of 30 people only 2 can
communicate fluently outside class.

Classes aren't exactly waste of time. It all depends on what you get out of it. You have to decide for yourself
everyday you spend just 2 hours in a language class. And outside class you are not getting any exposure to the
target language(s). The ones who will succeed are the the people who are enrolled in summer exchange or in an
immersion environment. On top of that you need to cut your TV, radio and other programming in the language
you know already and spend more time exposing yourself to news & info in your target language(s).

In a country like Canada we recognize 2 official languages: English & French. In Quebec they would teach English
1 class a day in school and the rest of Canada the other way around. Only the people who are enrolled in
immersion courses have any success of becoming bilingual. The rest of the people learned grammar & vocabulary
but most are unable to communicate fluently in both languages. In this country, education is funded by tax dollars
unless a child is enrolled in a private school. The government in the provinces and local jurisdictions paying for
teachers and language classes that are intended to keep a few professionals employed than actually getting
people to be bilingual. For a number of years the Canadian government fund languages classes to get its workers
to become bilingual (learn the other official language) without much success either.

When you are attending language classes and paying out of your own pocket, at some point you would have to
make a decision to continue paying money or stop because you are not getting anywhere. But with a publicly-
funded education system like Canada, people don't think whether they are getting anything out of a language
class.

Edited by shk00design on 27 November 2013 at 5:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 29 of 29
26 December 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Although I have gone about my views on classes many times before, it is always refreshing to find and discuss new angles to it. As a 'maverick' type ESL/TEFLer, it also feels less lonely to see people advocate 'old school' practices and... oh, my God -- homework! I was brought to tears! ;)

So, basically, what Cavesa, showtime17, and I'm with stupid said, although I'll add a couple of (hopefully useful) reflections -- mind you: additions, not my own 'be all, end all' of classes.

Cavesa wrote:
Yes, classes are not charity, they are a business where a lot of money is being paid for laughable results. Most language schools earn more [...] That is the trouble.

The problem is especially bad because, like in many long-standing issues, the schools are bad providers that have gained so much momentum that they get nearly all the attention regarding classes while giving ALL of them a bad name. Which in turn only tends to perpetuate the situation: any non-mainstream (better) approaches are doomed to stay marginalized. Sad, sad, sad.

With possible exceptions, I believe any of the self-study approaches advocated here is better on average than most classes. So why won't be seeing mainstream classes based on any of them any time soon? First reason, you have it above. Time waste and 'work transfer' is the second and most important one.

Quote:
I also believe that students who are lazy and slow down the class should pay more than the better students. They are not throwing away only their money and results, they are damaging other people. And some people only respond to financial motivation.

This would be akin to a scholarship system. I just love the idea, Cavesa! At some point I even thought of implementing something similar in my own school. Now that won't happen, but I think this deserves some more thought. How would you convince existing schools to implement it? I see what's there in it for the students (especially good ones), but what's in it for the school?

[On homework and 'work transfer' (= time waste)]

At the beginning of my courses/tutoring I always try to explain how the more time one spends working on anything, the better results they get, and how those willing to take some homework will only benefit from it. Needless to say, most of my students give two hoots and choose not to do any work (not even something like watching short YouTube videos) besides their classes. This will not necessarily sink/kill a class, but it'll most certainly take it to a crawling pace, for a very simple reason:

most of the time along any course, nothing can really be done in a class without previous knowledge and command of other stuff. Now if students don't know that previous stuff, or they didn't work on it so it 'sticks', then class time has to be sacrificed to make up for that, or neither this *nor* the next thing will get ever anywhere. Such a waste.

If we let the number of students and their interaction aside, class is different from self-study in one 'simple' point: a competent/knowledgeable person is paid to help you with whatever you're studying.

Now, studying can be split into chunks of stuff students can deal with on their own, and others where a hand would come in handy (no pun intended). Isn't it the most sensible, logical, and productive approach to make students do such stuff on their own outside the class, so precious class time can be devoted to what actually requires help from the teacher? Wouldn't that --as the OP asked-- be the best possible way to make a class 'work'?

If you asked most students I've met, apparently it isn't. Why would they have to --gasp-- work, if the teacher is the one getting paid? Let him do ALL of the work.
And they wonder why class won't work for them. Well, actually just some of them complain, so we can expect the business model to stay alive and well for a good while ;(

In short, when life doesn't get in the way and self-study still fails, there's no one else to blame for it, because no one else can fail at doing the student's work. Classes are so much better for that, that you'll never see (mainstream, anyway) classes heavily inspired by self-study methods.

What really gets me is that I sometimes feel like only language teaching gets both this 'throwing money at a problem hoping it will pick it up and solve itself' AND the complaining that it doesn't.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version