Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 1 of 8
13 September 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Hey there folks,

As you all know I'm a pretty big collector of foreign language materials (see my
language.com/forum/forum_posts.aspTID=30913&PN=1&get=last#"> log for details).

However, Korean is on the list of language I am currently interested in (okay, that's a
fairly large list, but who cares). However, Asian languages are languages I have no
experience with at all (Hebrew I guess, but that's in another category). So I'd like to
know what people here used to learn hangul and what basic textbooks are common for
Korean. I know there's an Assimil, but I want to use something else for a change (I
have plenty Assimils at home for Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese and Malagasy that are
unused and some more I have not entirely finished like my Hebrew or Romanian (only 2nd
wave left).

Possible source languages are Dutch, English and French. I guess Swedish is also okay.

Edited by tarvos on 13 September 2013 at 12:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

JiEunNinja
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4016 days ago

64 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 2 of 8
13 September 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Talktomeinkorean.com (This one is probably the best resource available. Their youtube
channel is also really good.)
Koreanpod101.com
dic.daum.com (dictionary)
dic.naver.com (dictionary)

Hangul could be learned fairly quickly on Youtube. Talk To Me in Korean has youtube
videos that teach Hangul~

I don't really know about any popular grammar books. I wouldn't buy/use one if someone
paid me though. There aren't a lot of good Korean resources. Most of them are super dry
and not entirely accurate. I used Talk To Me In Korean for everything. They teach you a
lot about grammar, colloquial expressions, slang, culture ect. Anything you could want
to know, they have lessons for. They only thing they don't teach in more depth is
grammar. This is the official frequency list for the top 5000 words.
http://www.topikguide.com/2012/08/6000-most-common-korean-wo rds-1.html

I wouldn't really study that list past the first 3000ish words though. Most of the
words after that are pretty obsolete.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 8
13 September 2013 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
I don't use frequency lists and I can handle
dry material. But thanks for the rest!

이희선
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4781 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 8
13 September 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Talk To Me in Korean is indeed great. Be careful of Koreanpod101 - sign up if you like your Korean learning
experience accompanied by a barrage of email ads.

As for grammar, Yonsei University Press' "Korean Grammar for International Learners" is probably the most often
recommended. In addition, Darakwon Press publishes a (so far) 2 book series of grammar that I found personally
quite useful and not necessarily dry called "Korean Grammar in Use". And you can find many dry and academic
books if you really want.

Other popularly recommended Beginners books include Active Korean (Seoul National University Press);
Elementary Korean by Ross King; Integrated Korean from the University of Hawaii Press; Korean Made Easy by
Seung-eun Oh; Survival Korean by Stephen Revere, and the textbooks from various Language Institutes in Korea.
I do caution those using institute books for self study. Some of the books are written to be integrated into a
classroom experience, not as a self study book. Sogang University, Ewha University, Yonsei University, Seoul
National University, and Ganada Korean Language Institute all publish books that are decent enough. Publishing
houses that specialize in Korean as a Foreign Language material include Darakwon, Hollym, Munjin Media, and
Language Plus. Here is an American website that lists many books with the pictures of the covers
http://www.hanbooks.com/kolate1.html

The internet has a wealth of Korean language information as well and I tend to refer to it as much as or more
than books. For some reason people always recommend Sogang University's online program but I think its
actually a bit poor in quality. But there are lots of nice blogs and wikis for grammar and phrases and the like. I
don't necessarily endorse all these books or resources...these are just what are popular and/or common.

3 persons have voted this message useful

JiEunNinja
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4016 days ago

64 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 8
16 September 2013 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
There isn't really a lot out there for Korean vocabulary outside of the frequency list.
There really isn't a lot for Korean in general^^

sabotai
United States
Joined 5694 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 7 of 8
16 September 2013 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Highly recommend TalkToMeInKorean. I was disappointed by KoreanPod101 (KoreanClass101). Seemed like they "phoned in" a lot of the dialogs they came up with. Not nearly the same effort there as was/is with JapanesePod101.

Hippocrene's Beginning Korean is packed with content. Colloquial and Spoken World are also decent.

Korean Grammar In Use is excellent.

For textbooks, I like Sogang, Yonsei and Ewha, but as was said, they are not meant for self-study. The exercises do not come with answers and they don't have a lot of English in them (although at the earliest levels, enough to get by). However, they still come with a lot of sample sentences, short readings and dialogs so they are worth it to me. Even with the drawbacks, I love using these textbooks. But for someone brand new to Korean, I wouldn't recommend starting with one of them. At least not until you're comfortable with the Hangul and how the language sounds.

(One warning with the textbooks, some of them also offer Japanese or Chinese as a base language, so if you do order one of them, make sure you get the English one.)

As for how to learn Hangul, I honestly don't even remember how I learned it exactly. It's a logical system with not a lot of symbols to learn. It's pretty easy.

For someone just starting out, I'd suggest learning the Hangul and start off listening to the TalkToMeInKorean lessons. Once you got a few levels into TTMIK, then start on either a self-study book or textbook.

(Of course, just my suggestion and I'm still a beginner in Korean, so take that for what its worth).

Edited by sabotai on 16 September 2013 at 3:34am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 8 of 8
16 September 2013 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
JiEunNinja wrote:
There isn't really a lot out there for Korean vocabulary outside of
the frequency list.
There really isn't a lot for Korean in general^^

But I can learn vocabulary from genuine texts. I have the internet for that. All I need
is the basics. I don't study vocab lists anyways.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version