Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4632 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 17
17 September 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Welcome 40pancakes, and here I am giving this thread a blatant "bump". Don't normally
approve of bumping threads for the sake of it, but I feel we really need to keep this
thing alive until it fully takes off.

@40pancakes: no shortage of interest in Spanish over there. I don't know about Japanese.

Edited by montmorency on 17 September 2013 at 8:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4138 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 17
18 September 2013 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Well, I AM trying to get the Japanese section to take off, but so far it's only Kristoff and me, so we'd love to have more people participating!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6033 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 17
18 September 2013 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Well, I AM trying to get the Japanese section to take off, but so far it's only Kristoff and me,
so we'd love to have more people participating!

Shoot Benny an email at benny AT irishpolyglot DOT com . He is learning Japanese from Spain right now, I'm sure he
would be game for a video hangout!

Any other (beginning) Polish learners out there??

Monkel
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 4218 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 12 of 17
18 September 2013 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I requested to join the group. My name: Manuel H...

(Although I lack the time to study a lot right now... so I doubt I will be of much use to the group)

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4821 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 13 of 17
18 September 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
What would I get in this g+ thing that I don't have here already ? Video Chat in group ? I prefer one to one chat.

Beside if you already reach the point where you can chat with natives you will get more friends to talk to if you open yourself to other domains than language learning.

If you don't reach that point yet come back in chat later.

Now if there is something more than the chat in this g+ thing, please explane.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4138 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 14 of 17
18 September 2013 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
What would I get in this g+ thing that I don't have here already ? Video Chat in group ? I prefer one to one chat.

Now if there is something more than the chat in this g+ thing, please explane.

First and foremost, nobody's forcing you go join if you don't see eye to eye with this idea. Also, fwiw, if you don't like group chats, Hangouts can be also done between two people, just like in Skype.

Second, "that I don't have here already" sounds to me like you think we're trying to replace HTLAL. We're not. The forums are an incomparable wealth of knowledge, whereas the Learning Den is more like a sandbox for people to hang out and practice with other people from a forum they already know.

As to what else there is to G+, its format enables people to share links to articles and learning resources through the whole internet with people interested in the same languages as you, in more of a bulletin board fashion than the forums do. It also enables you to get to know and maybe befriend forum members while outside the language learning context.

Thirdly, the whole point of this was to see if it is possible to simplify common-language meetups between forum members/language learners, and now that we've got a sensible number of members, there are several people trying to make it get off the ground. From where I stand, making the community was like adding an activity calendar and a playground to the forums, nothing else.
3 persons have voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4540 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 17
18 September 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Well, I quite like group conversations and they seem to work very well on g+. And while I
also like speaking to "normal people" occasionally, there's also a lot of fun to be had
in speaking Japanese to a Czech person about how their Klingon studies are going. That's
fine if that doesn't interest you.

The layout of g+ certainly isn't as suited to long-form written discussions as we often
have here, so I think it's no threat to the forum. But it is very handy for sharing
links, asking quick questions, etc.

I would certainly recommend that more people join, if only for selfish reasons, but it's
up to you!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4632 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 16 of 17
18 September 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Well, as far as I can tell, Skype 1-to-1 sessions between HTLAL members has never
really taken off, or taken off in great numbers. Of course, we cannot know what
individuals are arranging by PM between themselves....perhaps there are hundreds of
HTLAL members, pairing-off (or meeting in groups - I do know of one), but if so, it
isn't being reported back here publicly, so to speak.

So group hangouts seem like a fresh approach, and one that might work, because it
doesn't require two people with matching language requirements to find each other.

Also, I know from my own experience (not online, particularly, just generally), a 1-to-
1 session can be a bit exhausting, whereas with a group, there is less pressure on any
one individual. (This depends on the circumstances of course).

So lets' accentuate the positive, elimeyenate the negative, latch on to the
affirmative, and not mess with Mister in-between. :-)

Edited by montmorency on 18 September 2013 at 9:38pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version