Groupie
United States
Joined 4596 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 3
18 September 2013 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
This question may seem a bit silly, but I am curious as to whether any native English speakers here have taken an
English C2 exam in order to complete higher studies. I have an undergraduate degree from a US college/university
but I am wondering as to whether or not taking a level exam will enhance my credibility/profile for applying to
graduate programs in Europe. I want to have an extremely competitive application to increase my likelihood of
getting scholarships/stipends.

Specifically, I am looking at doing the conflict mediation program offered by Erasmus Mundus (an educational fund
financed by the EU), and I am already planning on taking the French C1 exam this December. The required
languages are English and French, and I want to have strong skills in at least two others (Spanish+undecided on the
third foreign language.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your input.
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4449 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 2 of 3
19 September 2013 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Most tests are for L2 users of English, you may try these: TKT, ICELT, CELTA and DELTA.
1 person has voted this message useful

이희선
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4750 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 3
19 September 2013 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
As a native English speaker, you have zero need to take an English level test to prove your ability.

None of the tests will add anything to your resume. They may make you look more silly - people will wonder why
you even bothered to take them, when a sensible person would know they are unnecessary for native speakers.
Also, even though the tests test English skills, it doesn't mean you can get a perfect score. Additionally, your
degree from a USA college is further proof of your ability in English at an academic level.

TKT, ICELT, CELTA and DELTA are credentials for people who want to teach English to other people who are not
native English speakers. I don't see how any of those would benefit someone in a grad program for conflict
resolution.

If you truly want to make your application more competitive, focus on the things that make you special and
different from other people. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people who can speak English (because it is a
requirement) will apply for this scholarship. Your perfect English ability will not set you apart - it just says that
you can join the application pool.

edit: typos ><

Edited by 이희선 on 19 September 2013 at 5:25am

7 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version