Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How do you feel when you don’t understand?

Tags: Dialect | Accent
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
32 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 32
20 September 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
How much gutamål have you heard? I rarely hear it myself, and I've lived here all my life - not in the countryside though.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 18 of 32
20 September 2013 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Iversen's post reminds me of the expression
skew whiff used, I think, more by my
parents' generation than mine, and probably not at all by my children's generation.

"skew" and "askew" are "proper" words, whereas "skew whiff" sounds distinctly colloquial.

I do like "si goggle" though, and had never heard it before.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3887 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 19 of 32
20 September 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
How much gutamål have you heard? I rarely hear it myself, and I've lived here all my life - not in the countryside though.

Not much, which is obviously why I have had trouble understanding it when encountering it. It's been years since I heard any.

That doesn't surprise me. I've lived in Skåne for 25 (19+6) years myself and I rarely encountered what I consider "real" skånska either. Even the skånska of my father's generation is very tame until you get a huge family gathering together and everyone starts talking about the 1950s. In daily life you just get some mild diphthongs, the rare softened consonant, and real skånska pops up primarily in the occasional crystallised phrase ("Heär kreusas ienga hållta beo-kållaere").

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4039 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 32
20 September 2013 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
It's happened to me before, kind of.

I took three semesters of Spanish in college. Now, I know that that was not enough to go read Don Quixote in its native Spanish or anything, but I thought that it was enough to do simple things, like ask for directions.

So when I actually took a trip to Spain, I was thinking that they would be able to understand me when I said "Where is the Navy base?" Nope. They looked at me like I had two heads or something. It was a little confusing, because I know that I know how to say something that simple. I didn't study Spanish for a year and a half not to be able to ask such a simple question.

It turns out that it was just the difference between Spain's version of Spanish, and the Latin American version of Spanish.

I've been unable to understand certain words in English though... and I'm a native speaker. My pastor at church is from the South, and sometimes he'll use Southern terms, and I'm not quite sure what he's trying to get at. I usually have a small idea, but I'm not really sure what he's meaning. If English was a second language, I'm sure that it would be a lot more difficult, and I'd encounter that situation more often.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4456 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 21 of 32
21 September 2013 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
How do you feel when you don’t understand?
/

I'm not desperate since even many people from Oslo find it difficult to understand peripheral accents ;)

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6447 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 22 of 32
21 September 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I grew up in the United States, and the funny thing is that I have more trouble understanding some native speakers of English from the United States than people from other countries speaking English as a second language.

I took Spanish in high school and was able to make myself understood in Spain. I guess I didn't sound too bad because people would answer me in what sounded to me like rapid and indistinct Spanish. That's one reason I don't worry too much about acquiring a "perfect" accent.

When it comes to native speakers, we don't always understand each other so you shouldn't so bad when you don't understand us.
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 23 of 32
22 September 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
As a young boy in the late 70s, I remember being on holiday in the north of England, probably scarcely more
than 100 miles from central Scotland. Two local lads started talking to me and I genuinely had no idea what
they were saying. I might as well have been standing there chatting with a penguin. Back then, regional
accents didn't feature much on TV and different dialects even less so. Of course, as you go through life, you
become exposed to different accents and dialects and you begin to tune in. Yet just this summer, I found it
difficult to keep up with a bloke from the Welsh valleys.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 24 of 32
22 September 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
As a young boy in the late 70s, I remember being on holiday in the north of England, probably scarcely
more
than 100 miles from central Scotland. Two local lads started talking to me and I genuinely had no idea what
they were saying. I might as well have been standing there chatting with a penguin. Back then, regional
accents didn't feature much on TV and different dialects even less so. Of course, as you go through life, you
become exposed to different accents and dialects and you begin to tune in. Yet just this summer, I found it
difficult to keep up with a bloke from the Welsh valleys.

Was hoping to find a hilarious example of Valleys talk...
not really hilarious, but interesting

this is hilarious...

different but funny

Edit: ah now...Max Boyce:
Max boyce
I think that counts as the authentic voice of the Valleys

Edited by montmorency on 22 September 2013 at 3:40pm

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version