Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
90 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 11 12 Next >>
Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4003 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 1 of 90
19 September 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Hm so I clicked on this forum and noticed no one has mentioned this one, so I thought I'd
post the link. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by doing so. :(

Anyway, enjoy this interesting lecture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUm1Q-
GLDw

EDITED TO ADD HYPERLINK TAGS AS PER SUGGESTION. TY.

Edited by Lykeio on 20 September 2013 at 2:15pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6023 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 2 of 90
19 September 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Interestingly there were two video drafts uploaded last night (different lengths) and I downloaded the 1st one which turned into the Price of Polyglottery video but I can't find the other one anymore. Hopefully there weren't too many great nuggets of information that I missed.

It's quite an interesting lecture for sure.
1 person has voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5192 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 90
19 September 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
jondesousa wrote:
Interestingly there were two video drafts uploaded last night

I saw both. They were actually the same video but with a bit different layout on the title intro screen.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 90
19 September 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
He doesn't really say much we don't already know - this part of his philosophy was always
quite clear. It does set forth the idea he wants to push very well - but I can't help but
think he is not the world's best orator and it's a bit of a chore to sit through 45
minutes of the professor talking. So even if what he says is very scholarly, very true,
and I agree 100% with him (and as much as I admire the prof for his achievements), he's
not selling it very well.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Sibsil
Triglot
China
Joined 4573 days ago

9 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, Korean, English

Message 6 of 90
20 September 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
To Tarvos,

The man is giving keynote speech, that means invited, to linguistic conference. And the
video has been up for only 10 hour but already more than 500 view and 80 positive vote.
So, it seems he is selling his ideas well. But he would probably like to do so even
better. So what you not like in him as orator? Do you have suggestion how he can do
better? Is it just too long for you? Can you sit through other 45 minute talk?
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 90
20 September 2013 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
He is as dry and as boring a speaker as Mr Binns from Hogwarts. And I sat through the
whole thing. There's almost no emotion in his voice - he avoids the most monotonous
droning, but he still doesn't sound engaged or into his speech. I always had the same
problems with his youtube videos too, by the way. He speaks very scholastically,
formally and bookish. I can't stand that type of presentation.

I can sit through a good 45 minute speech if the person doing it is a good orator,
manages to engage his public. Arguelles talks like the living embodiment of a textbook
being brought alive. It's a very scholarly, very professional, very academic speech. I
do not think that's an excuse for not engaging your public.

I have no qualms with the content of his speech - he is very right in what he says,
although he comes across as a little embittered because of his hardships, which I
assume is not the case. He just sounds like an embittered old academic when presenting
his speech, which is totally not a good way to provide enthusiasm. He is SELLING the
idea of an academy, and half of it sounds like a rant against "polyglottery is not cool
I am so sad". I know that's not what he is trying to get across, so it has to be his
oratory skills. I upvoted the thing too, you know.

Edited by tarvos on 20 September 2013 at 11:25am

14 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 90
20 September 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:
Hm so I clicked on this forum and noticed no one has mentioned this
one, so I thought I'd
post the link. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by doing so. :(

Don't worry about that. This place is about passing on knowledge, information or
wisdom, and even if more than one person posts the same link, that's just more reason
to think it might be worth looking at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUm1Q-
GLDw

You should be able to make your links clickable with URL tags (as above), although I'm
not sure to what extent that is restricted for relatively newly registered members.

Anyway,I found that very interesting. Yes, we are familiar by now with a lot of his
ideas, but I found some things new to me, or presented together in a way that was new
to me.

I don't find him dry exactly, but he always seems to me to be nervous, which is
surprising for a professional teacher. Also, I have only once seen him smile, in a
relaxed moment at the end of a video where he was being interviewed. So it's not that
he's really humourless; it just seems so, perhaps because he's too nervous to let go,
or probably because he thinks it's unprofessional to bring humour into a talk or
lecture. A pity.

Note that he gave a plug for HTLAL, and the auto-didactic method of language
learning....but, he says, there is still a place for language teachers, so, phew! -
that's ok then - so those of you who are language teachers won't all be out of a job
one day, if the Prof. is correct.

I do have some quibbles with him. For example, the claim that polyglots retain their
languages more permanently is based on a sample of exactly 1 - him (unless you count
the negative evidence of the Vietnamese teachers he was contrasting himself with).

Also, he clearly sees language learning and polyglottery in particular as an academic
and scholarly pursuit. He is very book-oriented (Tarvos's term "bookish" is very apt),
although his promotion of his shadowing technique does perhaps suggest that he does at
least think speaking the language out loud is important, and perhaps a sort of counter
to purely passive quiet reading .

I don't know whether or not shadowing actually promotes active language, i.e. speaking
skills - it might do. That's one of the 64-thousand-dollar questions that we often
discuss here, and I have an open mind on the subject.

Edited by montmorency on 20 September 2013 at 11:54am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 90 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version