90 messages over 12 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 11 12 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 90
20 September 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
I think language teaching should move more towards language coaching. The best teachers
are always the ones I worked with one-on-one to hone particular skills. Never the ones
that stood in front of a chalkboard. The best teacher I had was my English teacher who
made me write essays over and over until I understood how to structure them.

Luca is right when he says "Languages cannot be taught, they can only be learned".
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sibsil
Triglot
China
Joined 4596 days ago

9 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, Korean, English

Message 12 of 90
20 September 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Tarvos you are right, he is a living book. But, I like that and I think lot of other
people like that too even if maybe also lot of other such as you do not. I think he
cannot change style, and if he do change, then people who now like him maybe not like him
anymore. You say you do like what he say, just not how he say it. I think that better
than if he try to change style, other people like you say same message in your style, and
that way more people hear idea of polyglottery and polyglot institute.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 90
20 September 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
tarvos wrote:
I think language teaching should move more towards
language coaching. The best teachers
are always the ones I worked with one-on-one to hone particular skills. Never the ones
that stood in front of a chalkboard. The best teacher I had was my English teacher who
made me write essays over and over until I understood how to structure them.

Luca is right when he says "Languages cannot be taught, they can only be learned".

But ProfA, the Chinese Shadow, says the same thing in his video. His idea of a Polyglot
Institute is about coaching and materials.

I never said I disagreed with him. I expressly stated I agreed. Please read my
criticism before you draw unfounded conclusions.

Edited by tarvos on 20 September 2013 at 12:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 15 of 90
20 September 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I have no trouble with the professor's philosophy - only how he's selling it.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 16 of 90
20 September 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
And it's interesting that he himself clearly believes in 1-to-1 coaching since he talked
about receiving it himself.

Personally, I find 1-to-1 situations with teachers a bit intimidating and exhausting;
there is security in a group. But it probably is the best way if you don't mind working.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 90 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version