United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 89 of 90
29 December 2013 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Sibsil wrote:
Professor A. has made new v=ylKn6AqF0WY">video to talk about research in polyglot learning styles.

I hope some of our more advanced polyglots volunteer to be subjects in a case study.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 90 of 90
30 December 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
I think everybody who works with not only polyglots, but language learners in general will have noticed that there are different learning styles. The problem is whether these are immutable and fundamental and maybe even inborn or not - and then the sequel problem is that some scholars tend to believe that a thing has to be described in all details and proved beyond 100% and be consistent with their own world view to accept that it just might exist - and with learning styles this proof is hard to produce because it would involve turning the learning process of a large guinea pig group around to see whether teaching them against their own wishes had a negative effect - and that would of course be unethical.

Besides some pedagogical scholars just might want to see the whole idea of learning styles go away because they expect and prefer everybody to be alike - which would make teaching in class settings much easier. Strangely enough some of these authorities would be raving mad at the idea that scholars and teachers should be forced to give up their own freedom.

Personally I believe that the more extreme language learners are even more different than 'normal' language learners (who may even have been forced to learn their languages in school or on the street). So a study of one person - even a star learner like profArguelles - would be interesting, but you couldn't generalize a lot from it. Even the hyperpolyglot group of M.Erard (of Babel fame) was too small and of too suspect composition to allow for that, but at least it was an honest attempt to get an overview, which definitely is a laudable achievement.   

For my own part I do study languages in groups as the professor (though within a narrower range), but I would never choose to plan my study time according to a strict schedule. I do a number of standardized activities, but I do them on a whim because I believe that this approach is better than being forced - even by yourself - to do a specific activity on a specific time with a specific language just because the plan says so.

Edited by Iversen on 05 January 2014 at 2:09am

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 90 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version